Good advice or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rev G

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks you for the information shared on this forum regarding tannins. I have added some carbon into the filter and already, after 24 hours, there is a clearer tank.

I am due to be away for a few days and my retailer has told me that fish can go for a 'week or two' without being fed...is this correct? This advice doesn't seem right to me.

I see that there are autofeeders available. Can anyone recommend one? :fish2:

A few days will be fine. If you dont have live plants, turn off the lights so the fish arent so active as well.

Fish can go a few weeks without food. They often do that in the wild. Bigger fish will be more likely to ok than smaller fish. I wouldnt personally go a couple of weeks without feeding, but lots of people do. If its just a few days, then just don't feed. If you are a week+ put food in a medicine pill box, 1 days food in each compartment, and get someone in to feed them. By measuring out food into the pill box you ensure accidental overfeeding doesnt happen. Autofeeders have a habit of not working properly.

Also.

Going back to cycling your tank? Did you do the water change? Did you get a proper test kit? Did you read the thread i directed you to that contained instructions about how to cycle a tank?

Id be more concerned about not being able to test your water and do required water changes while your tank cycles than missing a few days food. Its a good idea to only feed fish every 2 days while cycling anyway.

Back
Top Bottom