Diatom gone now i got blanket of other algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree too. I can't scientifically prove my point, but I switched salt mixes and haven't had a problem since. It is my "guess" that a certain brand did not go well with my well water (before I used RO/DI)....But that is just a guess and it worked for me.
Flake, great props for using as a last resort. I prefer the natural way and have not had to resort to chemical solutions. I did, reduce feeding (being new at the time, I didn't want my critters to starve...lol). I know a little better now...

Hello,
My tank is pretty young still, so that makes sense. Is there a way to fight this stuff while I wait for the tank to mature more? It seems this stuff DOESNT need light to grow! I sucked out alot last night and guess what? Its BACK this morning! I am stunned at its abilities! I did another phosphate test, and its zero still. Maybe the test is bad? Maybe this crap uses up the resources so fast that it APPEARS to be zero?

Would it be worth adding some kind of phosphate remover? Maybe more flow? I have a Koralia 1 power head pointed towards the top of the tank. I also have a AquaClear 50 power filter which works at 200g/hour I believe.

Matt

...Maybe this crap uses up the resources so fast that it APPEARS to be zero? Would it be worth adding some kind of phosphate remover? Maybe more flow? ...

Yes, yes, and yes.

If it helps any, just remember that cyanobacteria is one (if not THE) of oldest living things on the planet. It hasn't earned that honor by making itself easy to kill off! But eventually, if you starve it of what it needs and remove what you can manually (even if it means taking some sand with it) whenever you can, you can be rid of it.

Hello,
Went to petsmart today to look for phosphate removers. Only could find this stuff called, Phos-X by Fluval which was originally called Clearmax. Says it removes phosphates as well as nitrates and nitrite. I stuck one into my AquaClear 50 along with a polishing pad for the fine particulate matter.

Anyone heard of Phos-X? Might this work for now while I wait for the post cycle junk to burn out?
Matt

I haven't used that, but I have used Phosguard.

Back
Top Bottom