Diatoms like crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there a way to stop these diatoms? They are all over the sand, the glass, the skimmer etc.
I'm done with the cycle. Levels seem good but I can't stop these awful brown diatoms from being everywhere non stop. As fast as I clean them off the glass they certainly back and I got snails for the sand which do nothing

Think it's unavoidable, mine is looking like crap as well.. let them run their coarse. Called the "ugly phase" I believe??

Think it's unavoidable, mine is looking like crap as well.. let them run their coarse. Called the "ugly phase" I believe??
Yeah I'm used to them in fresh but they never seemed to last this long. It's just awful

it's a phase all new tanks go through , when I first started I used to run my fingers through the sand to release silicates faster while doing a water-change seemed to help speed up this phase , this phase is short lived once your past it it's smooth sailing from there on .

Working at a large water municipality, the top place that silicates come from is tap water. People that use tap water have them stick around longer. Are you using tap water. Most people do the initial fill with tap water.

Working at a large water municipality, the top place that silicates come from is tap water. People that use tap water have them stick around longer. Are you using tap water. Most people do the initial fill with tap water.

I use rodi water

it's just a phase new tanks go through we all have gone through it . when I set up my first tank I about cried when this appeared . I just kept on it sucking out as much as I could with water changes , seemed to go by a little faster could try directing power heads towards it help disperse the silicates

it's just a phase new tanks go through we all have gone through it . when I set up my first tank I about cried when this appeared . I just kept on it sucking out as much as I could with water changes , seemed to go by a little faster could try directing power heads towards it help disperse the silicates

Lol seems it's worse around the powerhead.

I know that diatoms are a phase, I was just wondering why it's such a LONG one. Is it normal for marine to be so long and abundant? This is my first marine tank

Thanks everyone

there stuck under the sand that's why I always run my fingers through the sand to release them , made things go a little faster but I also was doing a lot of water changes pulling out that nasty looking stuff,

there stuck under the sand that's why I always run my fingers through the sand to release them , made things go a little faster but I also was doing a lot of water changes pulling out that nasty looking stuff,

Mine seem to clump up more on the sand when I stir it. It comes off the glass and equipment easily with a brush. Here's a pic.
I need to get a phos tester. I'll measure my grates against later but they were basically zero last I checked a week ago. I'm hoping it is diatoms and not some algae I'm unaware of. Most of the images I see online resemble Tom's but I did put a pod sack in there so who knows what algea carried over and what might be getting put in through my hob refuge.

Here's an image

Attachments

• IMG_20170415_180758.jpg
    IMG_20170415_180758.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 90
Mine seem to clump up more on the sand when I stir it. It comes off the glass and equipment easily with a brush. Here's a pic.
I need to get a phos tester. I'll measure my grates against later but they were basically zero last I checked a week ago. I'm hoping it is diatoms and not some algae I'm unaware of. Most of the images I see online resemble Tom's but I did put a pod sack in there so who knows what algea carried over and what might be getting put in through my hob refuge.

Here's an image

isn't the start up part loads of fun all that rusty brown crud , once you pass this stage things start to go smooth from there on.

it's salt water if it didn't throw a curve here or there it would get boring lol:ROFLMAO:

there's so many pods in my tank sometimes the water looks cloudy .
pods wont bring any algae.

there's so many pods in my tank sometimes the water looks cloudy .
pods wont bring any algae.

Not the pods but the water they came in. Had algae in it for them to eat.

If anything it seems my Tang has gotten a taste for them

My buddy has a phos reactor he may let me Barrow. I read that can remove the silacates as well

phosphate reactor will work

just like large water changes work also

one may choose natural one may choose chemical it's a matter of choice

oh your talking about that lil green that comes in with the pods that's so minuet it will get diluted as fast as you put it in , it wont amount to much skimmer will catch it fast enough

Last edited:
phosphate reactor will work

just like large water changes work also

one may choose natural one may choose chemical it's a matter of choice

oh your talking about that lil green that comes in with the pods that's so minuet it will get diluted as fast as you put it in , it wont amount to much skimmer will catch it fast enough

Yeah the last few water changes were like 50% and that only lasts so long. I was thinking of using his reactor just temp. The tank is hideous and the other half is whining every time she walks by. I personally don't like it either

Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom