Did I get bad advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phases99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to the local fish guru to find a False Percula to add to my 46g bowfront which already houses 2 Blue/Green Chromis, 1 large Cleaner Shrimp and a bunch of Astrea and Bumble Bee snails. I was not impressed with the Clowns he had but could not resist asking about this cute little fish who was eyeing me. He said it was a Royal Dottyback and would definitely be compatable with my current and future livestock. After buying it I was horrified to read this little bugger eats small ornamental Shrimp. I wouldn't consider my Cleaner Shrimp small but I cant help but second guess his advice. Right now the Dotty is sitting in my QT and I cant decide if I want him now. I would like to hear from anyone who has or hasn't had success with this combination. Thanks.

I have owned several dottybacks over the years, and not sure which one your store is calling a royal, but my experience has been that they won't mess with your shrimp, possibly if you add it after the dotty back, but they usually do not mess with existing tankmates, they are very aggressive though and should be the last fish added. YMMV

He appears to be a Pseudochromis Paccagnellae. I am still hoping to add a False Clown or two. Maybe I can keep him in QT until after I add the Clowns.

I have a Purple pseudochromis in qt b/c he bit the tail off my first cleaner shrimp. The P. Pseudo was about 2.5" and the shrimp about 2". Their mouths are more dangerous than they look IME. Also an interesting side note, since removing the P. Pseudo., my pod population has increased immensely. As said they will harass some fish.

I added him to the tank last night and within 15 minutes he had staked out a large area of the rockwork and began protecting it. Eventually the other fish and shrimp could not even swim by his area without being lunged at or nipped. I had to take apart all my rockwork to get him out but at least there is peace again. No more impulse buying.

I added the same fish to my 20 gallon 2 weeks ago and he is a total wimp. The Pseudochromis sits in a small cave hiding from the damsel in the tank and the CBS I have. I was disappointed, I'd hoped the dotty back would beat the crap out of my yellow tailed damsel...he deserves it.

jackdp said:
I added the same fish to my 20 gallon 2 weeks ago and he is a total wimp. The Pseudochromis sits in a small cave hiding from the damsel in the tank and the CBS I have. I was disappointed, I'd hoped the dotty back would beat the crap out of my yellow tailed damsel...he deserves it.

Too bad we couldn't have switched fish :D . Although the same fish can behave totally different in another tank. Maybe if you rearrange the rocks a little the tide will change. The yellow tails are usually one of the mellower damsels.

Back
Top Bottom