Difference of reef ready and regular setup tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEANS

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was searching on an aquarium providers website and they say they can turn your tank order into a "reef ready" (with overflow on back pannel, and holes drilled) for additional $75. I was wondering if this was even necessary? Because I almost turned my 75g tank into a SW tank and it has neither of them. So my question is do you have to have a reef ready tank to set up a SW tank if your going to have a sump etc? and whats the overflow on the back pannel exactly for?

also couldn't you just have the tubing going from your tank to your sump hang over the back of the tank like a canister filter?

thanks for any help

They make HOB overflows that will run a flexible line to your sump. So there are other ways instead of it being a reef ready tank.

The HOB filters tend to be more expensive than $75. And the reef ready tank seems to be favored by most people.

Sounds like a bargain to me!

They both have overflows. The drilled tank has holes drilled in the tank and the overflow inside the tank. The water flows over the 'overflow' and through the drain hole(s) to the sump. The non-drilled tank has the overflow hanging off the back of the tank and thru a siphon transfers tank water from the internal chamber to the external portion of the overflow and then down into the sump. Same concept, 2 different ways of getting there. Most prefer drilled if available (less to go wrong) but either has been a tried and true method for years.

If you're not going with a sump then you don't need either.

Well Reef ready tanks IMO look nicer than having a HOB overflow. The way they are set up, you can have the tubes hidden from the middle of the back by having them come through the overflow. If its only 75 more, and you plan on keeping it a while, i say get it.

Back
Top Bottom