Do i need to cure life rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalfa96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a cycled 10g tank i got two life rocks from a friend he had them sitting in his tank for about four years no water just sitting on rock hard sand ive had them for one day sitting in a bucket for salt water and ive been adding beneficial bacteria is it safe to just add them in my tank? they also have what appears to be worms or something small white and round

Attachments

• C6B0EE7E-0C49-438D-A57D-08EB9EE02CFA.jpg
    C6B0EE7E-0C49-438D-A57D-08EB9EE02CFA.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 56
Is your tank already running and established? If so, I would not add that rock in til it’s cured externally, since there will be a fair amount of die off that will cause an ammonia spike. Also need to be aware that it may have some dormant pests that can hitchhike into your tank.

yes the tank is cycled however its still a new tank about a month and a half old
also what are some ways i can cure it i did a water test in the bucket and had no ammonia granted its only been two days but it stinks like dead fish

yes the tank is cycled however its still a new tank about a month and a half old

also what are some ways i can cure it i did a water test in the bucket and had no ammonia granted its only been two days but it stinks like dead fish

Going to take a while like a normal cycle but it will process everything. Keep testing once a week and when ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and you’re getting a nitrate reading you’re good.

They’ve been sitting for 4 years out of the water? Did he ever clean them? Or just left them with all the dead stuff still on there? Nothing will be alive on them if so. I’d just cure them in saltwater and scrub daily testing ammonia and nitrite in the bucket.

Is there anything alive in your tank?

Hi yes he just had them sitting out in the tank for the time he was in college and i have a fully cycled tank with a clownfish a goby emerald crab and a snail

Back
Top Bottom