Don't know if this is the right forum but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Naso has a small dent in his stomach, is this normal? I hope he is not being underfed, he eats like a pig and I feed him all the time!

I have some blender mush that has shrimp mussels herbivore pellets spirilina flakes zooplankton rotifera, artemia, and some zoe. Then I also feed at seperate times brine flakes and spirilina flakes, once in a great while I put in some zooplankton that he seems to go nuts over and then I have some frozen spirilina formula and then last night my friend gave me some formula two which he seems to love. He also gets seaweed 3X a day (which we are having troubles with because he is so rough with it (hes a big fish) that he usually yanks half of it off the clip...even when I put four really small pieces in it to make it harder to rip off???).

Let me see if I can get a pic, he is real bulky except the small dent I guess you'd call it where I would exspect the stomach to be....

Nope, it doesn't want to show it...crappy camara...lol! Maybe my friend has a better camara, I will ask her when she gets home.

If it's showing in the lower part of the belly, it could simpley be the way the food is sitting. Especially if closer to the posterior end. Larger captive tangs will end up with a rather larger belly from loving TLC and the fact their just plain pigs. Depending on how well it's eaten in a given time frame (or what's expelled), it could just be an odd appearance.

Keep careful watch to be sure it does not progress or become a uniform appearance. The foods you feed are a little heavy on the meat side for a tang but not to a great extent. I would suggest trying a few different types of terrestrial veggies like broccoli and spinach in the clip as well as the Nori. Just be sure you freeze them for a few days and thaw properly in the fridge before use. Mixing peas and carrots into the blender mush is also a plus.

Cheers
Steve

Oh cool. I had just went to the LFS and they too told me it was normal. I have never had a Tang quite this large, so maybe that is why it struck me as odd. Like I say, other than that small dent, he is quite bulky :D . So pea and carrots? I have heard of that before I have just never tried putting regular veggies in the tank. I think my next batch will contain some :D . The meaty foods are more for my clown and anemone than anything, I just put what everyone eats in the same mix so everybody had what they like, is this ok or should I make seperate batches?

clowninround said:
I just put what everyone eats in the same mix so everybody had what they like, is this ok or should I make seperate batches?
One batch is fine but if the only other fish are just the clowns, I'd lean heavier on the herbavor side of things. Clowns do not require a heavy meat diet.

Cheers
Steve

My Firefish had a Dent in him too.
I fed him and it filled right up :D

Back
Top Bottom