Dosing with trace elements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have several tanks and do not dose any elements. Doing proper water changes will keep the levels where they need to be if you use a decent salt mix. :) The salt mix contains like 80 different elements in the amounts found in natural seawater.

On occassion, when i dont do my water changes like i should i have to dose for alkalinity. My calcium and mag stays right where they need to be. :)

Water changes suck to do I know but it's cheaper, safer and easier to do than dosing. I've tried it but theres just no comparison.

And when you have 800 tanks like Carey, PWC day turns into a week long trial I'm sure. But what she said is correct, proper weekly water changes will do everything that you need. The only reasons to dose would be if you missed a water change and one of your levels is low after testing or you have a tank FULL of corals and they abosorb so much calcium or whatever you have to dose. Even most people on the forums that have tanks full of coral don't dose and are fine so you have to have things really overstocked with coral.

I have found that dosing tanks with coral on a weekly basis is a great way to keep your corals vibrant and increases coral growth! This is my Duncan coral that grew to over 85 heads within two years. I bought it as a 4 headed frag and have it under a 400 watt metal halide.

Attachments

• image-2564065303.jpg
    image-2564065303.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 63
Reefality said:
I have found that dosing tanks with coral on a weekly basis is a great way to keep your corals vibrant and increases coral growth! This is my Duncan coral that grew to over 85 heads within two years. I bought it as a 4 headed frag and have it under a 400 watt metal halide.

There looks like a lot of Aptasia in that pic. You should definitely remove them, as they can sting corals.

Constant battle! It's a double edge sword adding elements true! But the rewards with diligent care out weigh the negatives in my opponion.

Reefality said:
Constant battle! It's a double edge sword adding elements true! But the rewards with diligent care out weigh the negatives in my opponion.

Have you tried Peppermint shrimp? They worked well for me. I only had a few, but ... Gone in a couple days.

Flreefer said:
Have you tried Peppermint shrimp? They worked well for me. I only had a few, but ... Gone in a couple days.

Peppermint shrimp are great at decimating small sized Aiptasia population, but they usually won't touch the large ones. .........And those look fairly large to me!
Get the shrimp, but you'll still need to use Aiptasia x to kill the large ones first and let them do their thing after that.

That Duncan looks awesome!!!!! Duncans are one of my favorite coral

Back
Top Bottom