Drilled tanks and bulkheads question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone explain the purpose of drilling tanks for bulkheads? I know it has something to do with sumps but I'm having difficulty understanding the purpose of drilling to run output/input directly into the tank as opposed to running it over the back into the tank.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think more about the drain! Over the glass requires sucktion to maintain flow!

Drilled tanks are safe from flooding your floor while hang on box overflow if not configured properly flooding will occur at your sump specially during power outages.

One works by gravity- a constant. The other that goes over the top works by siphon. It's always better to drill for a drain. Returns can come over the top. the only reason I would drill for a return is if I was going to showcase the tank from the top. A rimless tank would be a good reason to drill a return hole.

When your siphon stops working in a non drilled tank you will have your return pump keeps pumping your sump water overflowing your display tank until sump runs dry and pump burns out.

Back
Top Bottom