DSB Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, I have a 4" dsb constructed of caribsea 1-2mm special reefgrade. Am I supposed to vaccum my DSB or do I just leave it alone? I have populated it with snails, microstars, worms, pods, etc. I have been reading both Do and don't vaccum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leave it alone. Unless your getting somekind of nasty growth on top of it. Then it would be ok to syphon off only the growth and leave the sand bed as undisturbed as possble.

i have read that as well but imo the stars worms if there are enough will keep the sand stirred pretty well !! and again imo water flow is the most important and i feel most dont have enough for my liking :) but i like ALOT of flow !! no dead spots for detrius to settle behind the rocks or on the sand !! i have never vacuumed my sand nor will i !!

Okay cool, thanks for the advice. Other than coralline growing on a few patches of my substrate, my sandbed looks good to me. Real quick also, I added 18 sphagetti worms from indopac and haven't seem them since. I assume thats pretty normal?

yea unless ya added them with the lights on and ya fish had lunch hehehe if not ya should be able to see the trails they leave between the glass and sand :) might take a few days !!

Well I don't have any fish as my tank is only 2.5 months old. Im still adding the corals I want and getting all the interior just how I want it so I don't have to be as disruptive once the fish arrive, on top of the fact that the tank IMO isn't mature enough for fish yet. I don't see any trails around the glass, have been watching for this, but still haven't seen it. I added them two weeks ago. Cause for concern?

wow ya have more patience than i but good for you the longer your wait the better for sure !! how big the tank ?? i would think ya would see some buy now but might be eating stuff around the rock and until they start breedin might take a bit to see their trails !!

Tank is 105G (130 total volume) sandbed is 48LX18WX4.5H There is 160lbs of LR in there as well.

yea so ya have tons of room for them !! not a big deal it will take time to see them then :) good luck

The CaibSea special reef grade sand is of to large a grain size for a DSB, you may want to think about reducing the amount of sand in your tank. The proper size sand for a DSB that is marketed by CaribSea is AragaMax.

Well im confused. I went with special reef grade based on info I got from carib-sea.

"1.25 - 1.95 mm diameter grain size. A revolution in reef-keeping! This is the one you’ve been reading about in all the hobbyist publications. This grade of aragonite is specifically engineered for plenum-type nitrate reducing beds or anywhere a deeper bed is called for."

http://www.carib-sea.com/Carib1.htm

[url=http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm said:
Deep Sand Beds by Ron Shimeck[/url]]Making a sand bed is almost too easy. The most important part of the sand bed is, not surprisingly, the sand. While earlier I referred to "mud" and now I refer to "sand," I am not discussing two different materials. There is no scientific definition of "mud," however, those of us befuddled folks who spend part of our life working with marine sediments have a naming scale for the parts of the continuum of particles ranging from the very big ("boulders" = particles over 25.6 cm, about 10 inches, diameter) to the very small ("clay" = particles less than 0.004 mm, about 0.00016 inches). Nowhere in this scale is there a mention of that most desirable of substances, "mud." Generally, what a sediment-studying scientist would refer to as fine or very fine sands with smidgen of silt, most normal folks call mud. These are sediments whose particles generally range from about 1/16th mm (0.063mm) to about 1/8th mm (0.125 mm).

[url=http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm said:
Deep Sand Beds by Ron Shimeck[/url]]Most sediment-dwelling organisms appear to have similar precise preferences. However, most will also live at least marginally well in mixed-sediments with sizes around their optima, and most sediment particle size optima seem to be in the range of 0.050 to 0.200. Consequently I suggest a range averaging about 0.125 as a good compromise. It isn't specifically the best for most infaunal species, but it will allow a diversity of species to live pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom