eggcrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrmarine

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all

i ahve heard many of you talk about how eggcrate is so great and i was wondering if i could see some pictures of your tank before it had eggcrate and after (to see some differene)

tia

Mr. Marine

Hm.

U know eggcrate is just the small plastic grid that sits on top of the tank. its made up of a bunch of 1" squares. Its intended purpose is to use as a light difuser in florecent fixtures.

fishfreek-yes i know that
steve-s Thank you for the pics ! your tank looks great and i was wondering do you have a fan to keep it cool and what lights are those
I have 4 65w PC's do you think thta would be too hot
XXFirefighter-Thanks for the tip
p.s i havent seen any eggcrate at lowes around here do you think homedepot has it and what department it would be in

TIA
mr. Marine

I saw some at home depot in the light fixture area. Around the shop light and florescents.

I use the eggcrates on my fresh water tank and the increase in evaporation is crazy. Lets more light in though.

take a leap of faith

trust them I did it put 30% or more light in my tank from standard lights, everytime i looked there was a skim of salt crusted below my lights this no longer happens, On sheet covered my entire 55 gal tank, try it you cant see the crate except from the top. you could even leave glass in the front part not under lights.

mrmarine said:
steve-s Thank you for the pics ! your tank looks great and i was wondering do you have a fan to keep it cool and what lights are those
The lights are 4x96w PC on a 90 gal tank. The CSL hood came with the standard fan which is all it really needs. As long as the fan is pulling the hot air out and there is free air flow around the hood, heat should not be a problem.

As far as the higher evap, I actually prefer it. It allows for higher amounts of replacement water ideal for kalkwasser use and is a great way to keep the tank cool on hotter days.

Cheers
Steve

Whats nice lowes will refer to it as eggcrate also so you can ask the service desk where it is. It should be in or around the lighting area.

I just run my tank with out a top. Average evaporation is 1 - 1 1/2 gals a day.

Yes I got rid of my glass top, heres a photo of the eggcrate top...Thanks lowes
25-egg%20crate%201.jpg

Back
Top Bottom