Failed securing rocks and frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just wasted a whole tube of instant ocean holdfast and about 2.5 hours. I was trying to make a couple rocks more secure and then was planning on placing a couple frags in locations I wanted but didn't have anyway to do it. I figured I'd have an easy time using this stuff.

I failed. I failed at everything and it was bad. I had much better luck drilling the rocks and using acrylic rods. I followed the instructions for use but just couldn't get it to hold the rocks together. Even if I took the rocks out of the tank and dried the area where the holdfast was going it wouldn't stay. I tried adding superglue to help it bond and nothing worked. Everything just fell off. I know this stuff works (based on reviews) but I'm so disappointed in what happened. I feel like I never got a bond on my live rock.

I heard some great things about Nyos Reef Cement so I may try that if I can find it. If not I might get another tube of holdfast.

Does anyone use holdfast? Or have any other tips for securing rocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've never had long term luck with putty. Even after it has 'held' for months I've had frags fall off. Super glue gel on the other hand has never failed me in the frag area. When it comes to rocks, acrylic rods or bust.

Funny you say that because my last frag that actually held with the putty just fell off. Never again will I use the holdfast.

I got my Nyos reef cement in the mail today and I had my rocks secured in all of about 5 minutes. The stuff works great but it's very messy. It was hardened in about 2 minutes and I feel much better about my aquascape

For years I have been using Epo-Putty. The best and strongest epoxy I know and SOOOOO easy to use.

2a5x5s7.jpg

30wtvgj.jpg

Looks like good stuff. I'm sure the holdfast is too. My main issue was trying to apply it underwater or to established live rock. Every part I applied holdfast too hasn't stayed down. In the instance of holdfast I know it says it "cures underwater" but the instructions specifically state to apply to a clean dry surface which was my problem.

Using the cement although it was messy it easily got the job done quickly and easily.

I've tried many ways to secure rock work , never had much success , Than I discovered the simple stack and lock it's just fitting rocks to let the rock next to it lock it in place ,
it takes a few times to get the correct pattern but once yo get it it works like it should ,

think of the rocks in a natural reef no one spent time gluing every rock in place nature placed and locked them , macro's pay a big roll for holding rocks together as they vine or just adhere to the rocks corals also help the cause especially encrusting corals and also most of the softies , my method is basically a carbon copy of of the reefs it don't totally work until things grow out but I never had any moving or rocking rocks .
one tank I had several of the fish loved shifting rocks around . I thought a few times I was going to come home to a broken tank but I got lucky the stack and lock works I do it in all my tanks now never have seen any problems since , now with coral frags I glue them to dry rubble rock I think it looks better than plugs and than find a crevice to lock it in , over time the frags start growing out that also help lock things in place ,
there is only 3 fish I know of that love to move rocks . Clowns , Damsels ,and of coarse triggers , I'm sure there are others but I still haven't encountered them .

Back
Top Bottom