faucet filter water vs ro water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZivioRR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just bought a faucet filter to filter out my tap water and it saids it wil remove 98% of chemicals and since r/o removes 99%, is it much of a difference???

Most faucet filters only have a carbon filter that will remove chlorine and other chemicals. The RO filter has a sediment filter, a carbon filter, and the RO membrane. The RO membrane removes dissolved solids which leaves you with pure water especially if used in conjunction with a DI canister. All these dissolved solids are still present with most faucet filters.

Check at your local grocery store. Down here I can get RODI water for $.25/gal. Its more work than hooking a waterhose up to a faucet, but I know my fish are happier. Better yet, if you can afford to, buy an undersink RODI unit.

May not neccessarily harm them, but I know of multiple instances of fish and coral thriving and flourishing even better when the switch from tap to RODI was made

It's not necessarily to do with the health of the livestock but with the fueling of nuisance algae growth.

Ofcourse there's always the chance that there's some impurities in there that could build up over time and cause a crash later on... I never feel comfortable using straight tap water in aquaria.

call culligan ! BEST tasting water and the fish love it and not 1 problem with the tank ! 0 diatom bloom or anything like that !

Back
Top Bottom