Feeding Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I just purchased an Anemone 2 days ago, It aSebae Anemone.

The LFS told me to feed him a piece of frozen krill ever other day.

I placed a piece right on him, and he held onto it, but after a few minutes my Fire Shirmp came and took it away from him.

any suggestions? I want to make sure he is eating properly.

Also the LFS told me this type of anemone likes to be close to the bottom in the sand, So I placed him on the sand bed. Is this correct placement for this anemone?

Thanks.

-TheChad

I suspect It's still stressed form moving, wait a few days and try feeding it again. Mine took a month of searching until it settled into the largest rock I have. It's now about 14" across and the center piece in my 180 Gal.

I agree that I would not feed it for a few days and give it some time to settle down. Next I would not feed every other day. IMO I would feed once a week or two. Many an anenome has met it`s demise from overfeeding. Hope all goes well.

I agree with what was said above. The anemone probably won't stay where you put it at, stubborn things. :)

Second, twice a week would be a better feeding schedule, IMO. And if the anemone is small, perhaps feed it half a piece of krill. Anemones use a lot of energy digesting food, and overfeeding sometimes causes more harm than good and usually the just expel the food back out. It might take a while to find the balance on what is best for the anemone, both in regards to frequency and amount.

HTH

Why feed it at all? With the proper amount of light it will get all the energy it needs. It will also capture food from the water colume as needed. Target feeding anemonies is a cause of stress, as mentioned. I suggest you just see how it does.

I agree with lando. A sebae anemone gets its nutrients from light and requires no direct feeding. I only give my anemones a treat maybe once a month or so.

I agree with lando also. I have had my anemone's for about a month now and i have never target fed them. They use light and water falls from the marine snow dosing every 2 days. Try some marine snow if target feeding seems too stressful.

Back
Top Bottom