Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmonson

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 65g reef and it has a protein skimmer and a hang on the back filter. Would it be enough filtration if I got rid of the hob filter and put a hob refugium on it? But I would keep the skimmer.

I have a 65g reef and it has a protein skimmer and a hang on the back filter. Would it be enough filtration if I got rid of the hob filter and put a hob refugium on it? But I would keep the skimmer.

I wouldnt think so but i'm not 100% sure. Your rock and sand should be a big part of filtration but you still want something to "catch" some debris that may never get to your protein skimmer. My sump runs a filter pad before the water ever gets to my skimmer but ive been debating on removing it since it seems like it catches the trash before my skimmer gets it. I hardly ever fill up the collection cup on my skimmer without wet skimming.

If you have the cash. You could switch to something such as a fluval 406 canister filter so you don't have so much hanging on the back.

I wanted to do something underneath but I don't have the room in my stand.

Back
Top Bottom