floating anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rabbydab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a sebae anenome which i've had for a couple of months now. It still hasn't found a resting place. It's never attached to anything in my tank and some mornings i find it on its face in the sand. Is there anything i can do to help it find it's place?

oh, and another thing. what and how is the best way to feed an anenome? I've heard many different things and i want to find out the right way to do it without disturbing them too much.

I use a piece of fresh fish or shrimp and place it as close to the center disk as possible and it grabs it and eats. One thing though, if it isn't hungry, or doesn't like the choice of food, it will spit it back out...

You can try to wedge it carefully where you want, it may attach there. Most times they will just find a spot sooner or later that they like, and settle down. How much flow do you have? It may not like the current conditions. I think they prefer a low flow..Maybe some of the more experienced will comment...

Sebaes are notoriously difficult to keep in captivity. It may have been injured during collection, damaging it's foot. In that case it may not attach until it is healed. Unforturnately it may not survive that long. It is my opinion that Sebaes should not be purchased. I suggest a tank raised bubble tip if this one doesn't make it.

do they attach to a rock or do they like to lay on the sand? When I bought it, it was in a tank flush to the sand like it's foot buried in the sand. it's doing well and i've had it for several months now but it just hasn't found its spot . that's all.

How deep is your sand? Perhaps it is not deep enough to sufficiently bury it's foot. It will either attach to a buried rock or reach all the way down to the glass. Moving around the tank means it has not found a suitable environment. Try changing the water flow pattern or providing an overhang for protection from strong currents.

Back
Top Bottom