White Bump Neon Tetra face

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay80

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, thank you in advice for any advice given.
I added more neon tetras to my tank 12 days ago and noticed one of the newbies has a white lump on its face.

All other fish are healthy, the one with bump on its face seems healthy otherwise. No other white lumps/bumps have appeared.
7 day api melafix given (hasn't done anything).
Tank established 6 month
80L tank

Any thoughts? Please let me know if you need better pictures. Difficult to get the focus when they're moving ?

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_141028.jpg
    IMG_20230725_141028.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230725_141053.jpg
    IMG_20230725_141053.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230725_141529.jpg
    IMG_20230725_141529.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230725_141551.jpg
    IMG_20230725_141551.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 12
It could be a fat lip from swimming into something or the new virus that causes a white lump to appear on the bottom lip. There's no cure for the virus and you leave the fish till it can't swim or eat properly, the euthanise it.

Thanks Colin! Just put anti fungus treatment in. A few of my harlequins have got white under their lip. Hopefully it isnt the virus ��

This is caused by columnaris. It is a fungus. I had this happen to my neon tetras too.

Its called cotton mouth disease. Not alot you can do but you can try tri-sulfur and regular water changes to give them a chance. good luck

Is there any way you can get a clearly focused image of the ‘bump’ on the neon and on one of the other fish?

If it’s Columnaris, it’s a serious bacterial infection caused by Flavobacterium columnare and if it’s not appropriately and quickly treated it can be fatal and it is contagious.

Fungus and Columnaris look quite similar early on but fungus is easily cured and Columnaris, not so much.

If it’s caught early enough, dousing the area in Methylene blue, full strength as it comes from the bottle, has cured early cases of it. This can be combined with some salt in the tank which makes osmoregulation easier for the fish so they have more energy to use to heal, but if it does not work you need antibiotics and some good luck to cure it.

This is not something that can wait. I am sorry to say it, but if it is Coiumnaris, it will kill the fish if you don’t treat it right away.

This is caused by columnaris. It is a fungus. I had this happen to my neon tetras too.

Its called cotton mouth disease. Not alot you can do but you can try tri-sulfur and regular water changes to give them a chance. good luck

Unfortunately, this is not a fungus and Columnaris is also not a fungus. There are actually 4 strains of bacteria that are classified as Columnaris. Since this is an older post, the fish would be dead by now if it were Columnaris and had not been treated.
There are new viruses and diseases coming out of some fish farms so we can't quickly jump to conclusions based on the older diseases. :(

Back
Top Bottom