For Reef keepers with pistol shrimp (I need help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, I have a JBJ nano cube that I am 86ing for now. It is a lemon. The pump busted, the bottom is leaking, all after the calurpa went sexual. Its just a bad combination of lax maintenance and faulty products. (don't worry I didn't lose any live stock, well maybe a snail) Anyhow on to the question. I had a bullseye pistol in the JBJ and I can't decide if I should drop him in my big reef system or take him to LFS or my reef club.
I know that once he is in the 105 he won't be coming out. Catching him would be impossible with my setup. So, anyone keep pistols in their reefs have an opinion? I know he stirred up sediment in my JBJ constantly and guess my main fear is that my 105 is going to be "perma-cloud" if he gets to building in there.

for the first few months there will be a big cloud in the tank. but after a wile it get pulled out by the skimmer and in the sump and it no longer happends. go for it.

I have a pistol in my 72gal reef and no problems with it. Put it in the big tank and look at getting a shrimp goby for it.

I have one huge one and possibly a second smaller one in my 200g, never a problem with them :lol:

I have probally 4 or 5 in my 150. No problems with cloudy water. BUT sometimes when all of them get together it sounds like a jack hammer in the tank. :wink:

Thanks for all the input everyone. I love the rare but unanimous vote for something =) I'm off to get a bucket and a drip line.

Thanks

When i had the pistol in my 80 there want any cloud of sand. What he did do though was relandscape the tank on a daily basis. One day a pile would be in one spot. The next the pile would be in another spot. I went from having a fairly flat sand bottom to having a very hilly/mountionus sand bottom on one half of the tank. I think you should be more concerned with how stable the rock is and the potental the shrimp might burrow under the rock to destalize it.

I agree w/ fishfreak. I had a 5" DSB when the tank was setup a year or so back, within that time period he converted the right 8" of the tank to about 1" of sand and there was a area in the center that was about 7" deep. I was lucky and the rock's never collapsed, but they could have.

I know I have 2 in my 20 they botch hitchhiked in. I probably have more.

one is clear white and one is black with white stripes.

all they do is snap every once in a while. I never really see them.

Back
Top Bottom