Frag frogspawn or whole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a large frogspawn (12 heads) that is beautiful but large. For those of you folks who have experience with this I have a couple of questions.....

1-is it better to trade this off as a whole coral or split it up?
2-how do I decide what is a fair price for this coral? Assuming that I do it as a store credit - what should I expect for this?? Is there a rule of thumb like a quarter of what the org purchase price was???

TIA!

Wish I lived closer. ;)

I don't have a clue how much you could get for a head or two of frogspawn. My LFS would probably give around $10 for a head, but they also charge around $25 for frags too. Some other stores in this area sell frags for only $10, so you might not get much at all.

They are easy to split up though. Sometimes you can break a head off with your hand.

1)The LFS's that I deal w/ don't like freshly fragged pieces. If you have room to grow the frags out some after mounting them, it may bring more money by splitting it up- maybe. If you want to get rid of the coral to make room in your tank, you could cut 1-2 heads off to keep and trade the rest of the colony- Just an idea.
2)IME retailers, decent ones that is, will give approx. 1/3rd of what they plan to sell it for. Sorry I can't give a good dollar amount on the value. Sometimes I leave the LFS w/ more than I thought I would, other times less after trading frags w/ them.

HTH and good luck w/ it.

My LFS will give me half of what he would sell it for. I had one that I broke the heads off but I kept them.

We(local club members) sell frogspawn to local hobbiest for $5 / head. I would think a LFS would want 2-3 heads but maybe not. If is is a branching frogspawn, they are easy to frag. You will always get more $$ from fragging it up than selling it as a whole. Depends on if you have anough demand. I have a double softball size head that I frag often. I just wish my area was not so saturated with it :)

It does ship ok though.

Back
Top Bottom