FW dip for LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

good11s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased 25lb of LR from my LFS. It was in her tank for about three weeks, and I have had it QT (bucket filled with SW and PH) for about two weeks. I have done one PWC and the water parameters are minimal. 0 NH3, 0 NO2, and 10-20 NO3.

My question is: Is is advisable to do a FW dip of the rock prior to placing it in my display? Or could there be adverse reactions?

If by adverse, you mean killing all the bacteria, then yes. ;)

If you are worried about potentially bad critters, you can try a hypersalinity dip, otherwise I don't see a reason why a dip would be neccesary. A FW dip isn't good unless the rock is BAD and you WANT to kill everything on it.

I have done FW dips to remove nuiscance crabs and mantis shrimp. I have done my rock on 2 separate occasions during tank moves. I would not do it now as I do not have anything I feel I need to get rid of but there were no adverse effects and I never lost any livestock in any of my moves.

Unless you have something to get rid of, I would not do it though. I have FW dipped zooanthids to verify that I don't have any nudibranchs on them as well. This is actually recommended by die hard zoo collectors on Reef Central.

There are occasions where it could be merited but it does not sound like you should in this case.

IMO I dont think you should. there is too much of a chance of losing some of your beneficial bacteria and harm to good beneficial life on your rock.

Live rock dipped in fw= dead rock IMHO

Why is this? LR submerged in FW for hours maybe but FW dips are used in many different ways. I have zoos that have survived 10+ minutes in FW. Some people think corals exposed to air will die as well. This is not the case for most.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying a FW dip is needed here but they can be used with no ill effects. Nuisance crabs and critters are a pain to get out later.

Definitives in this hobby are rare, IMO.

I have to agreewith Ellisz. I can see where they can be a good idea. I've only done it once on anything that has gone into my tank and that was new frag of Zoas. I think the zoas survive so long because they can close up.

Back
Top Bottom