Is this fish ill with Whitespot/fungus, or just discoloured?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordzcov

Aquarium Advice Regular

Got 6 harlequin rasboras (now 5 as one died) on 18th of Feb to join 3 tetras in my 60L tank. I noticed one had a white mark and frail looking top fin (didn’t look severe enough toi be fin rot). I have treated with Whitespot and fungus meds every other day for a total of 6 doses (bottle says to dose every other day for 7 days, with an additional 7 days if required). It doesn’t seem to be doing much in terms of the mark, but the fish also doesn’t seem to be getting worse/ is still alive.

Just looking for some guidance on this one
Tank:
Nh3 – 0
No2 – 0
No3- 0/5
Ph – 8
KH- 7/8

Picture 1 is from MArch 16, others are from March 31

Attachments

• PXL_20240316_132941667.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240316_132941667.MP.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240331_081847314.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240331_081847314.MP.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240331_081852809.jpg
    PXL_20240331_081852809.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240331_081902140.jpg
    PXL_20240331_081902140.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 6

Got 6 harlequin rasboras (now 5 as one died) on 18th of Feb to join 3 tetras in my 60L tank. I noticed one had a white mark and frail looking top fin (didn’t look severe enough toi be fin rot). I have treated with Whitespot and fungus meds every other day for a total of 6 doses (bottle says to dose every other day for 7 days, with an additional 7 days if required). It doesn’t seem to be doing much in terms of the mark, but the fish also doesn’t seem to be getting worse/ is still alive.

Just looking for some guidance on this one
Tank:
Nh3 – 0
No2 – 0
No3- 0/5
Ph – 8
KH- 7/8

Picture 1 is from MArch 16, others are from March 31
All the fish in the pictures appear to have ragged fins which can either be a sign of them nipping at each other or they have fin rot. Only you can really determine which it is by observing the fish. You will see whether the fish are chasing and nipping at each other. As for the blue coloration, that is a natural coloration on an unnatural fish color so not a disease. Harlequin Rasboras and not dark like that one. The copper colored one is more a natural color. I did notice what appears to be some slime on the " normal" colored Rasbora which would be a sign of something in the water being an irritant to the fish. Once you have finished a full treatment of the medicine, make sure you do water changes and/or run a carbon filter for 24 hours to remove any lingering medicine and see if that helps reduce the slime.

Hope this helps. (y)

All the fish in the pictures appear to have ragged fins which can either be a sign of them nipping at each other or they have fin rot. Only you can really determine which it is by observing the fish. You will see whether the fish are chasing and nipping at each other. As for the blue coloration, that is a natural coloration on an unnatural fish color so not a disease. Harlequin Rasboras and not dark like that one. The copper colored one is more a natural color. I did notice what appears to be some slime on the " normal" colored Rasbora which would be a sign of something in the water being an irritant to the fish. Once you have finished a full treatment of the medicine, make sure you do water changes and/or run a carbon filter for 24 hours to remove any lingering medicine and see if that helps reduce the slime.

Hope this helps. (y)
Hi, Thanks for this.
It wasnt until i read your comment that i saw the blue marking you refernced. in Reality it isnt blue (it may have just caught the reflection) but is more of a white/grey colour (will try to get another photo. This was where the previous whitespot was, but im wondering if its just a bit of scar tissue/damage, given how reflective it is?

The fish do chase occasionaly, but then also group. I dont see them necessirly nip at each other, and im not always sure if its the same ones chasing/being chased.

Yes, i noticed the white line down their backs to, which they seem to have had since day 1, so wasnt sure if it was just the way they were, was somthing they brought with them from the store, or is a form of fungus on them all etc.

Hi, Thanks for this.
It wasnt until i read your comment that i saw the blue marking you refernced. in Reality it isnt blue (it may have just caught the reflection) but is more of a white/grey colour (will try to get another photo. This was where the previous whitespot was, but im wondering if its just a bit of scar tissue/damage, given how reflective it is?

The fish do chase occasionaly, but then also group. I dont see them necessirly nip at each other, and im not always sure if its the same ones chasing/being chased.

Yes, i noticed the white line down their backs to, which they seem to have had since day 1, so wasnt sure if it was just the way they were, was somthing they brought with them from the store, or is a form of fungus on them all etc.
The good news is that if there is a reflection off that spot, it's not fungus or disease. It's coming from scales. (y) How often do you do water changes?

Change every week between 10/20%. aim for 10% (is one bucket) but then may do another small amount if needed e.g. more debris.

Did a chance saturday and havent medicated since (didnt want to over medicate) but it may seeem like its okay now due to the reflection mark, rather than a fungus mark

Change every week between 10/20%. aim for 10% (is one bucket) but then may do another small amount if needed e.g. more debris.

Did a chance saturday and havent medicated since (didnt want to over medicate) but it may seeem like its okay now due to the reflection mark, rather than a fungus mark
Okay, keep an eye on the slime to see if it reduces. If it still doesn't after the 2 rounds of medication, consider doing 20% water changes at least twice a week to see if that helps clear it up. If it still does not clear after a couple weeks of water changes, take stock of the plants in your tank to make sure that there are no plants in there that can release toxins in the water if chewed on or stems are broken. (y)

Okay, keep an eye on the slime to see if it reduces. If it still doesn't after the 2 rounds of medication, consider doing 20% water changes at least twice a week to see if that helps clear it up. If it still does not clear after a couple weeks of water changes, take stock of the plants in your tank to make sure that there are no plants in there that can release toxins in the water if chewed on or stems are broken. (y)
Perfect, will do!
out of curiosity, what is the slime/cause of it? may do some reading around it just to up my knowledge

Perfect, will do!
out of curiosity, what is the slime/cause of it? may do some reading around it just to up my knowledge
It's a fish's way of adding extra protection against an irritant to an area. It could be from anything from bumping into a piece of decor causing an " ouchie" to poor water quality. It's their version of a band-aid. (y)

Back
Top Bottom