Getting clowns to host

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sevise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just added a pair of percs to my tank. I got them from an awesome LFS and had them in QT for 2 weeks. They've been doing well in the main, they seem very scared of everything and stay in the corners.

Tonight when I checked one of them was pressed up against an overflow. He still looked alove so I put my finger in the water and was going to give him a push, well when my finger hit the water he bolted away. Hes back with his partner and back in the corner. I put a small lamp in the room so the tanks not so dark, cause I think there freaking when the lights go out..

I don't have an anemone as I still think my tanks too young for one. However I do have a toadstool I was hoping they'd host.

Is there anyway I can encourage them so take a host, at this point it doesn't matter I'd just like them to stay somewhere during the nights.

Are the percs WC or tank raised? My o. clowns hosted in a hairy mushroom for a short time before she passed.

I do not know of any way you can coax a clown into forming a symbiotic relationship with an anemone or coral. It is instint, and a gamble. Just give it time.

Correcto from Lando! :D

It took a few months for my two clowns to host the toadstool. It could possibly take months, so hang in there.

My clown lives right next to my baffle at the surface of the water. He's given me quite a scare recently when I thought he couldn't swim down, but he seems to just like the surface. Strange little critter. Mine is a WC. He was also part of a mated pair, but alas, he's a single guy again.

When I added my BTA to the tank, my perc looked at it for a few seconds and swam away. He never gets close to the BTA anymore. He just sticks to his corner with glass algae as host. When I added the condy, he did the same thing.

The are farm raised. The corner they've been sticking around is right next to the toadstool. Thanks for the words of wisdom, but I'm not giving up. I'm going to try feeding them near it so they come close. Maybe if I can associate the toadstool with food they'll stick aound it.

Try the picture technique.
Tape a pic of a clown hosting in a toadstool to the tank. Make sure the clown in the pic is smaller than your live clowns or they might think another clown is trying to invade. Tape the pic on the opposite side of the tank from where the toadstool is. Leave the picture taped on the tank for 12hrs than remove for a day than tape back on, keep doing it for a week and see whats happens. By seeing other clowns being hosted by a toadstool, your clowns are suppose to get the idea it's ok to play in it.

This technique has worked for me and my captive bred occellaris with my bta, it took the ocellaris 3 days. I've heard other reports of this being successful. Remember clowns will choose a host as they please. But it's worth a shot

I thought it was interesting when I first heard it also. So I decided to give it a try. My ocellaris did take my bta as a host but I can't say 100% that this pic trick is what caused the hosting. I did read several other post of it working for other people.

Here is a pic that I made and used. Dont laugh, my photoshop skills are weak. This an acutal pic of my clown and bta that I meshed together.
img_318619_0_dcca055aaa981aae905adedecba125bb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom