Goby Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t3hRobG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently added my first fish to the reef tank. I found that the fish I chose has more names than I can keep track of. I added a
Stonogobiops nematodes
or Black-ray Goby.

In the lfs the fish spent most of its time near the front of the tank almost hovering midway up the side with a group of other similar fish. I know these fish burrow at night, but since I added him to the tank 3 days ago he has not left the burrow he made behind my liverock. Is this normal behavior? I haven't been able to feed him because of this. The first day I put a very small amount of brine shrimp into the tank in the hope that it would circulate back to him, which it did, but since then I have not re-fed, thinking he will come out when he gets hungry. So far this hasn't been the case.

Will this be the permanent behavior of the fish? My hope is to eventually add a Randall's shrimp but I don't know what to expect with this Goby at this point. Is there anything I can do to make him feel more at home or should I simply expect to never actually see him.

Thanks!

Some fish feel real welcome in a new home, some need some time, which sounds like your goby. i'd give him another day or two. Some people say a few days, some say a week. He should get hungry eventually.

Do you have a clean up crew for the uneatten food? otherwise your params will go south real fast

I only have a snail crew right now. I have been watching the chemicals very closely since there is a new addition to the tank. I only fed the one time and it was an extremely small amount of shrimp. I haven't seen any changes since then and I won't be feeding again until the Goby comes out enough to be able to eat. I guess I will let him go for a few more days and see what happens.

That is typical behaviour for burrowing type gobies. You need to feed on a regular basis, such as every other day at 7:00 pm....after a month or so, the fish's body clock gets attuned to your feeding habits and it will start anticipating the time and becoming more visible.

Hara said:
That is typical behaviour for burrowing type gobies. You need to feed on a regular basis, such as every other day at 7:00 pm....after a month or so, the fish's body clock gets attuned to your feeding habits and it will start anticipating the time and becoming more visible.

thats how my yellow wrasse was. he has finally learned the feeding schedule and is always out around feeding time, well not always, which still makes me nervous from time to time. i doubt it's gonna starve itself to death, but if you dont feed it you surely will.

As the others have stated. You`ll be OK. Give him time to get use to his surroundings. And I sure would like to see a pic of this fellow.

I'd love to see a pic too.

I've had the same type of behavior from several different fish when added to my tanks.
Last week a brought home 3 firefish who immediately hid in a rubble pile and refused to come out for 4 days.
I was a little worried, but I could see one of them inside the pile so I knew they were still alive. So I just kept target feeding the pile with some mysis when I fed the rest of the tank.
Eventually they came out one by one on day 5 and 6.
Now they all hover together at the opposite end of the tank from the rubble pile and seem pretty comfy with their new home.

For what its worth, I would love a pic : )

I have been trying to feed at the same time every day but feedings are very difficult based on the location he picked. As of right now I haven't seen him in 2 days. I am watching the chemical levels very closely and haven't noticed any changes but i can't tell whether or not he is getting the food I try to give him. My most recent attempt is to use a turkey baster to get a small bit of brine shrimp to the base of the rock. Hopefully this will help. If I ever do see him come out I will do what I can to get that pic.

I am wondering if the addition of a pistol shrimp won't also give him some more confidence, but I will need to work that out with the LFS. He is basically the only thing in the tank right now besides some coral and my snails. Maybe week 2 will be more eventful than week1 of his stay.

t3hRobG said:
I am wondering if the addition of a pistol shrimp won't also give him some more confidence, but I will need to work that out with the LFS. He is basically the only thing in the tank right now besides some coral and my snails. Maybe week 2 will be more eventful than week1 of his stay.
A pistol might help, plus they are pretty cool. If he has only been in the tank for 1 week, he is probably still getting used to his new home. As stated before, they do tend to be shy....

Back
Top Bottom