Got a T. Maxima on the way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I purchased a T. Maxima online this morning. Should be in by tomorrow. I needed some additional cleanup crew help (wanting to get rid of that turf algae I have) but somehow got sidetracked on the clam. :) I decided to go with etropicals. They had a good deal on it and it is supposed to be "Ultra Grade". I spoke to them on the phone and assured me that "Ultra Grade" was as colorful as the Maxima come. I guess I will find out tomorrow.

Anyway, I am trying to find a good place for him. Actually I think I will start him in the sand off to the side of the light for a week and then move him closer and closer to the middle of the tank and then perhaps up on a rock. I know T. Maximas are rock burrowers so I think he would do better there than in the sand.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me? I know these critters are filter feeders and need live phyto. But I wonder if they can eat the dead stuff (i.e. Kent phyto & Zoo). Luckily, I scrape the sides of my tank down every few days or so because of diatom growth so that will provide a small amount of live phyto. Also wonder if the blender mush I use will also provide him with the proper nutrition?

How big is the clam? As for placement, I like to put a rock under them on the sandbed, so they are easily viewed from above.

If you start him off on the sandbed, then you need to follow reefrunner69's advice about placing a small flat piece of rock under him in the sandbed. This will allow the clam to attach his bysal thread to the rock. They need to attach to something to feel secure and most importantly, they need to do this so that worms & parasites do not enter the clam through the bysal thread.

How big is the clam? As for placement, I like to put a rock under them on the sandbed, so they are easily viewed from above.

Its only 2", so its a small sucker. Good idea about placing him on a rock in the sand. However, I wonder if leaving him on the sand is a good idea? I know the super colored Maxima's need more light than other clams. Even though I have that 250w MH, I wonder if my tank depth will play a factor. From the top of the sand to the water's surface its about 20" deep.

If you start him off on the sandbed, then you need to follow reefrunner69's advice about placing a small flat piece of rock under him in the sandbed. This will allow the clam to attach his bysal thread to the rock. They need to attach to something to feel secure and most importantly, they need to do this so that worms & parasites do not enter the clam through the bysal thread.

Good advice. I hadn't even though that other parasites could harm him on the sand bed.

I believe that the experts say that at about 24" in depth, you will definitely need MH for the survival of the clam.
As for starting off on the sand bed, this is IMO a good idea if you are running MH lighting. This way the clam can acclimate to the light. Once it attaches to the small flat piece of rock, you can move him up in stages.
Also & 2", you will need to supplement feed him with either DT's phytoplankton or Knop's Koralvite F. If you get the Koralvite F, watch out, it's super concentrated so a little goes a long way.

Well he got in safe and sound today. He is bigger than 2". I would put him around 3 1/2" or so. Real good size clam. He is an extremely gorgeous blue clam. I would have taken a picture but I left my camera at home.

I will probably be ordering some DT live phyto soon as it seems that is what just about everyone recommends using. Stuff is not cheap though... Wonder if I could make my own...

There are many different DIY plans for phyto reactors around the net ;)

Your clam should be fine on the sandbed and it is not a problem if it stays there.

There are many different DIY plans for phyto reactors around the net

I actually was looking at some of them, but that is a little more work than I want to do. I think I will order one bottle of DT's and take it from there. From what I have been reading, clams over 3" really don't need any supplemental feedings.

If you can find it I would also highly recommend Liquidlife's Bioplankton. It can be kept frozen and is a concentrate you add water to. One year shelf life as apposed to the month or so with the DT's.

Cheers
Steve

Liquidlife, eh? I'll check into it, Steve.

Well I had placed the clam on a rock yesterday evening to get him out of the sand, but when I came in this morning I found him on the sand bed. Must have kicked himself down. I guess he likes it down there. I moved him a bit to make sure he was getting direct light but I have kept him on the SB for now. I figure he knows more than I when it comes to what is best for him.

Back
Top Bottom