Green Spores On Sand Sifting Star What Are They?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonanatal

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone every seen what lookes like green spores growing on a Sand Sifting Star. My Sand Sifting Star started acting differently and then these things showed up and within a day he was dead. It seemed to eat away from the inside out? I'm hesitant on purchasing a new Sand Sifting Star before I find out what this is and how I can treat it should it occur again.

I wouldn't buy another if I were you. I've had'm, sort of "melt" away after they seemd to have depleted (if there was ever any) nutrients in the sand.

Go for the nassarius vibex snails instead to "work" the sand IMO.

Thank you for the advice Austinsdad. Did your Sand Sifting Star have the same green growths that I described on mine? Would you happen to have a photograph of the Nassarius Vibex Snail?

I agree with Ray. The sand sifting star is a bad choice except for very large systems. Nassarius snails are awesome for turning the sand and cleaning up leftovers. Here's a pic. You'll need to copy the link.

http://www.fishfools.com/ReefTank-SPS/Inverts/Nassarius.htm

as a followup on the nass snails, I just won an auction on ebay for 250 nass snails, with shipping, the total was 20.00. This guy has great feedback and also has auctions in smaller amounts.

Back
Top Bottom