hair Algae - Photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gstewart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. Hope you all had a good xmas.

I have got an algae problem, well i am not sure if it is a problem.

These photos were taken after a cleanup of the glass, but the algae is still on the rocks - i know you are to remove it but wanted to get some pictures first. It is a green hair algae and i dont mind it on the rocks but it will quickly cover the glass if left about a three \ four days.

When i say cover it may not be hair algae on the glass as it just shows as a thin green layer . I have also got thin red blotches of algae on the glass in places but i hear this is good to have so i have left that. only a few of those though.

readings are

nitrate 1.0

phosphate 0.15

nitrite 0

ammonia 0

What i want to know other than water changes how can i get rid so that every few days the tank doesn't start to turn green !

The tank is only approx 2 months old now.

algae.jpg

algae2.jpg

algae3.jpg

there's a couple factors here to consider. Your tank is still a little young and these algaes will come and go for probably the first year of the tanks life.

Your phosphates are contributing somewhat. What type of water are you using for your water changes? if your using treated tap water, this is contributing to the algae (and phosphate levels), switch to an RO filter or buy RO water from your LFS. A good selection of snails is always a good prevenative measure.

Already doing that. I have 3 turbo snails ( ok admittedly i need a few more for a 260 litre tank !! ) And as for water changes this will explain it..

Tank was a second hand setup so only 50% of water came with it. the rest was treated tap water. however doing 20 litre changes weekly with RO from LFS.

Any thing in addition to that that will help me rid of it ?

Gary

The red algae film is cynobacteria, not good, remove as with the green film algae. Cynobacteria is an indication of high nutrients coupled with phosphate & silicate in the water. I don't think this is harmful, but if left unattended, it will spread all over the rocks, sand & glass. If you have a small amount, don't worry too much, just clean your glass & stir your sand & do your RO/DI water changes. If it gets out of hand, there are a few chemical treatments out in the market for red slime algae.

Back
Top Bottom