Hammer Coral Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenturtle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am considering getting a small/medium hammer coral for my 90 gallon half-circle reef, since I can't have an anemone with these lights (I am getting a BTA once I upgrade my Biocube). I have a nice area on the sand bed that is about 8 inches by 6 inches that I do not have anything on currently. I have a TON of soft corals and a candy cane coral that is growing well. I just have a few ?s about the hammer coral. I add Iodine and Strontium supplements to the tank, and I do 10% PWCs per week.

1. How long are the feeder tentacles? If I got a medium size frag (like 5-7 stalks) would the feeder tentacles exceed the 8x6 inch area?

2. I have 2 watts per gallon, lighting wise. My Candy Cane is growing new heads kinda quickly (A head usually splits into two every month), but is way high up on the rocks. Could the sandbed support the hammer coral or would I have to put up high on the rocks just to keep it alive?

3. Should I target feed it? And if so, what should I feed it?

Thank you in advance!!!

I'd say high up on the rock and you can feed it If you would like to. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week

I just read that the sweeper tentacles are only 2" longer than normal tentacles. I was picturing them being like 5 inches like my Candy Cane's are occaisonally.

My frogspawns were about 4 inches total, I say were because my sweet little clown fish decided to rip the long ones off.

Back
Top Bottom