has anyone set up a local aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plkdb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just curious if anyone has set up a aquarium with either fish/coral/plants/invertebrates from their local area based on that areas wildlife. Anyone have any pictures if so?

Very interesting idea. I have a few fish from the local area, some LR from the local area, hmm, 2 anemones from the local area, and a sunray clam from the local area... Never thought of it as a Local Theme, it doesn't look like a local tank... I will have to dive down and check out the surroundings next time I go to the favorite spot.... :mrgreen:

Don't worry timbo, I won't blow the whistle on you :wink: but don't some areas have laws about taking wildlife from reefs/oceans ?

I could be very wrong, but I thought I had heard something along those lines.

I was at the beach the other day and there were all these little fish that are silver with yellow tails. As soon as you were in the water, there were about 10 swimming around your feet, if you moved, they moved, but they wouldnt leave you alone. Last time I was there I caught about a 3" fish, it had large side fins that when it spread out, had a bright blue color to it, but when it was closed, just looked like the color of the sand. I always see lots of pipefish, filefish, shrimp, crabs, baby flounder, etc. Still waiting to find a anglerfish in the sargassum weed that comes in after storms! Just seemed like there was so much life close to shore that it would be a neat tank, plus those ones with the yellow tails had such funny personalities. They would let you scratch them as they swam by your hands. One even kept rubbing up against my legs (probably trying to get off a parasite or something, but it was still interesting).

Yeah, as far as I know there are laws for this somewhere, I am not sure I would classify this as a reef, but still the same, I would not recommend it now...

There are no laws about catching the animals that I could find, I do believe the LR was a no no, but I am not sure from where it was taken. May be all of Florida. Will have to look into that.

It has been a while since I got the 3 pieces I got, and frankly, I won't get anymore anyway, because it is ugly... :lol:

I know you`d have to check your local regulations, I was just curious if anyone had taken the approach of building a sw system displaying their local wildlife.

I can't say as though I've seen any other discussions on the topic here but I think it'd be a pretty cool idea! Great conversation topic when company is over.

Although living next to a great lake doesn't leave me much in the way of SW options hehe

Back
Top Bottom