Have to replace Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram6519

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, my middle support on the top of my tank has buckled and has cracked almost in half. I spoke with my LFS and they are going to replace my tank. I have a 55 gal with 50 - 55 lbs of LR, 90 lbs of LS, several corals and lots of inverts. How do you switch over a DSB and LR into a new tank without creating a huge Amm. spike and keep everything from dying?

Sorry to hear that.
First I would lower the water level in your tank and brace the top with some kind a clamp to prevent further cracking.
Maybe the LFS will take care of your live stock for a couple of days until everything is up and running again.
A friend of mine just moved and he took down the tank and set it up at the same location the same day. He just kept 80% of the water and reused it. The rest of the water was replaced with filtered ocean water from the local Aquarium. As far as I know, everything survived.
Might also depend on how hardy your live stock is.

Good Luck

I recently changed tanks and had no problems. I drained all my water into tubs, moved my fish and corals into the tubs. Put the rock into a separate one and some of the base rock in the new aquarium for the lr to rest on. Then moved the sand. Once the sand is in the new tank I laid down some saran wrap on the sand and set a shallow bowl on the sand bed. I poured the water into the bowl to keep it from moving the wrap and the wrap kept most of the sand in place. I only used half the water from the old tank and half new sw. The water was a little murky for a few hours but cleared up quickly. Then just placed my rock while re-acclimating my fish and corals. I let the corals and fish drip for 2 hrs and added them to the tank. It took a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom