help shark transport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blscart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and need help. My business partners and mysel have a couple of establishments with saltwater tanks and we are saltwater fanatics. our recent endeavor has really kicked thing up a notch and we are needing some help. We have constructed a seventeen thousand gallon in floor saltwater aquarium with an acrylic top that you can actually walk across. We have invested countless hours and countless thousands of dollars to produce this wonder and we want to stock it with several sizable sharks. The two species that come to mind are the atlantic sharpnose and the blacktip. We are located close to the gulf and these two species can be obtained there. The obvious question is how do you transport a four to five foot shark five hours from the gulf. We have exausted many resources and have not yet determined the best way to achieve this feat. We are true animal lovers and any harm, discomfort or death of these fish would be devastating to all involved we will spare no expense or difficulty in making this happen but are very cautious about what steps we need to take. Anyone with any helpful knowledge please reply Thanks in advance

Have you contacted an aquarium or seaworld as they are transporting sizible animals regularly . Also many universities in the gulf area would have marine biology depts. that may have had experience with transporting larger animals .

Wow, seventeen thousand gallon tank. You gotta post some pics of that when you get it up and running, especially with the sharks. Imagine the pwc's you would have to do on that thing!

I would advise against keeping the Black Tip Reef Sharks. They grow rather quickly and become aggressive (far more so in captivity then in the wild). A friend of mine that owns an LFS was keeping these in a large 2,000 gallon display and we were having some problems feeding them and maintaining the tank because of their aggressive nature.

Nurse sharks, banded cat sharks, wobagongs and bamboo sharks would all make good tenants to your tank, and because of the size you could have a few of these species. As for transport I would recommend contacting a marine biologist or a certain writer for Tropical Fish Hobbyist, though I cant think of his name. I think it's Matthew Weignright, he wrote an article on shark capture and transport. You could go over to tropicalresources.net and ask them, that is TFH's official forum.

Back
Top Bottom