Help with emerald crabs going after nem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is what the nem looks like.

image-12339446.jpg

Here is my attempt to trap them. I have sinking food in the bottom of the glass

image-2373517783.jpg

Emeralds aren't too quick. Should be pretty easy to pluck them right off the rock with your fingers.

I must have some speedsters. I could not catch them by hand. This did work though. They are in the sump of the 75 gallon now. Hopefully the nem will recover.

Glad you were able to catch them. Personally I'm not a fan of the emeralds. It's been my experience that they're not as reef safe as most might think. Especially when they get larger, they tend to get meaner and go after fish and other shrimp. Glad you could move them to the sump.

Thanks Rick. I have had a couple unexplained deaths in that tank (royal gramma and sixline wrasse) and I'm now wondering if the emerald caught them at night or something. One of the crabs was pretty big. I caught him grabbing the edges of the nem and pulling on them. The nem was shriveled up last night. I hope it is better when I get home from work tonight. There is live rock and quite a bit of algae in the sump, so they should be happy in there.

Haven't heard of an emerald going after an anemone. Love hearing new things (new to me at least). Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom