High nitrates, prime, and chaeto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supra

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm battling high nitrates. I've been doing water changes and dosing with prime to help. I just purchased chaeto for my sump. My question is will the prime bind the nitrates so the chaeto cannot absorb them?
Supra

I would stop dosing ..... Keep up pwcs check skimmer make sureitsdoing what its supposed to

When I had high nitrates the key was to pound them down! I did 50% water changes every 2-3 days until they got to 20 then adjusted feeding, etc... Ars you using RO/DI water?

Didn't check Rodi, didn't think I had to. I'm pretty sure my tap doesn't have nitrates because I have a freshwater tank also. Skimmer and live rock only. I just added cheato but I'm noticing I don't have alot of movement in my fuge. How concerned should I be with that? I don't feel like buying another power head
Supra

Prime does not make nitrate unavailable for consumption. I've used prime since getting in to the hobby... and nitrate is an important part of a planted tank, which is what I mainly kept up until recently. Never caused any issues. I'd agree that water changes and watching your feeding would be the best route for keeping nitrate under control. I wouldn't bet on the prime doing much for it.

After doing research, I found out you can dose prime in an emergency like you can with nitrites the way it is stated on the bottle. I did this and I definitely saw my goby acting better. Just did a 50% change I'll test in an hour.

Ok I'm down somewhere between 20 and 40. I know it's high but you should have seen it before. I'll do another wc tommorow.
Do you think I should add prime? I didn't.
Supra

Back
Top Bottom