hospital tank water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringwurm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a fish that I think may have Ich. I went and got everything for a hospital tank so he can be qt and treated. Can I use the water from the main tank to start the hospital tank or do i need to start fresh and run it through a cycle. I would like to get that fish out as soon as possible.

Ring

You can transfer water from the main tank for the initial fill but future water changes should consist of new well aged SW. The water itself does not help cycle the new QT however. Only hard surface materials will transfer the needed bacteria (no rock or sand though). The water from the main tank simpley makes the switch much easier on the fish and less stressful overall.

How will you be treating the clown?

Cheers
Steve

Its a Royal Gramma that is the problem. I've been feeding him garlic soaked food to boost his health but will do low-salinity in the Hospital tank to see if it can be cleared up w/o chemicals.

If you have any suggestions I am all for it! :)

>>Hyposalinity<< is an excellent option when performed properly. It is also not harmful to the biofilter as other treatments usually are.

Good luck!
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom