Help needed - tank crash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just stops ammonia from being so harmful to the livestock

There is a lot of debate about whether Prime even does that. Essentially ammonia isnt as toxic as you might be led to believe, especially at acidic pH, which leads to a lot of people saying i had high ammonia, dosed with Prime, and my fish survived. It possibly had nothing to do with Prime.

Seachem also claims it detoxifies nitrite and nitrate. They have no evidence whatsoever that it does. Their own FAQ readily admits this claim is 100% anecdotal (see above paragraph regarding how reliable that may be), and they have no scientific evidence that it might do this. At least Seachem say they know how it detoxifies ammonia even though they wont disclose the how and dont hold any patents.

There is a really good thread on here between some of the science bods (mostly no longer active) discussing possible ways Prime might work. Their conclusion was that it probably does detoxify ammonia, and came up with a few ways it might do this.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, I'd love to read it even if I didn't understand it lol. It's a dangerous claim really. Could lead people to just do a daily dose and not bother doing the grunt work.

Anyway back to the original issue. Sorry if I went off topic........

Back
Top Bottom