How are you keeping your aquariums cool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in Midwestern Indiana, where its been 100+ the past few weeks (and looks like it will continue that way for awhile). Even though the house is fairly cool, the aquarium is getting fairly warm (~81). What are some effective ways to keep the tank cool?

Chiller is the main tool.

I've heard of people freezing bottles of water and floating them in the tank but I don't know how effective that is. It never gets above 80 where I live so it's not an issue I have to deal with.

Normally we wouldn't have to deal with temperatures like this. This year has just been abnormal for the Midwest, even more than what it normally is!

I libe in maimi and i use those clip on aquarium fans. It has been in the 90 s here and i have been able to keep the tank at 78 degrees with the halides on

Jabibi said:
I libe in maimi and i use those clip on aquarium fans. It has been in the 90 s here and i have been able to keep the tank at 78 degrees with the halides on

+1 around 6 bucks at wallyworld

+1 on the fans at the surface,or mount 2 (1 drawing cool air in and the other blowing hot air out) in your hood. I am also in south Florida. Just keep in mind, that the fans will cause more evaporation than usual. We add about 2-3 gallons per day to our 180g fowlr. Good luck!

Keeping fans on your tank surface will only "cool" the tank down to the ambient temperature in the room. Unless your room is always cooler than 81, it won't do much in the long run.

As for the running temp, is 81 the max temp is hits? If so this is perfectly fine. My max temp is around 82 everyday and everything is fine.

AquaRick said:
Keeping fans on your tank surface will only "cool" the tank down to the ambient temperature in the room. Unless your room is always cooler than 81, it won't do much in the long run.

"The principle underlying evaporative cooling is the fact that water must have heat applied to it to change from a liquid to a vapor. When evaporation occurs, this heat is taken from the water that remains in the liquid state, resulting in a cooler liquid."

It is possible for the tank to get several degrees cooler than the room temperature. My tank stays between 76-78 room temp is 78-80 and I only run the fan 15 minutes out of the hour. If I were to run it full time the tank would stay between 72-74.

I agree there is nothing wrong with 81 degrees provided its stable.

Back when I used some hot lights for my corals I fought temp swings be keeping the tanks heat up around the clock. Being warmer than normal all the time is better than going up and down 15 degrees every day.

Now I've got low temp lights and just run a room ac, stays 75.

Back
Top Bottom