how do you remove zoo(anthid)s from live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pool_dude

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought a variety of zoos and now i wanna remove em from the live rock. any tips on how to remove em?

I recently went to a coral propogation seminar. The tool of choice for zoos was a chisel and carefully scrape them off the rock.

Send them to me and I'll send you back a bare rock guaranteed. I'll hardly charge you for the service even. :)

...very carefully. Whatever device you feel will be safe enough to crack a tiny piece of rock that a single zoo polyp is attached to away from the rest of the rock.

(run-on sentence, for the win!)

however you get them off, use gloves when you mess with them. you might be one of the few (like me) that is highly sensitive to the toxin that is in them..... I didn't use gloves the first, and last time I tried to frag them, and my arm got a serious rash that stayed for months.

zooanthid toxins can be far worse than a rash.
from Marinedepotlive.com;
" Caution should be exhibited when handling these corals however as they emit a powerful Palythoa Toxin. It is best to be cautious and handle these corals with rubber gloves on. If the toxin (less than 10 grams) enters the bloodstreem through the smallest cut on your hand you can get very sick and this is known to even cause death. If you have flu-like symptoms without a fever and you handled these corals bare handed you may want to seek immediate medical attention."

can enter bloodstream when you touch your eyes with infectted hands, or your mouth. can even transfer tto food.
i've read it can eeven be in tthe water, so always wash your hands after they've been in the tank if you have these corals. it can be difficult to tell which species are toxic, and which are harmless. always assume you have tthe 'dangerous' kind, and you should be ok.

thanks for the infos! so if the zoos can emit a toxin, is it bad for fish? i would assume possibly, so im guessing that when i plan to remove it, i should do it in a QT?

Back
Top Bottom