how many powerheads for a 55 gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm converting my 55 gal fw to sw. It currently runs a rio 1700 (about 400 gph) pump that runs from the wet/dry sump back into the tank. Do I need to add a powerhead as well for a fish only starter tank?

Thanks all.

yeah,

You need to turn over between 10 to 20 times the amount of gallons your tank holds per hour. so you want probibly a couple of good sized maxijets in there as well.

It depends on whether you intend to have LR in the tank or not. If this is going to be a fish only tank, you don't have to have the extra flow. It may, however, help to discourage some types of nusiance algae/cyano from growing. If you are going to have LR in the tank, I would suggest 3 powerheads. One at each end and one on the back wall with its flow angled toward the front glass. I would go with either MJ1200's or MJ900's. JMHO.

Do they each get their water supply from the same line in the sump? I.e. I would tee off of the return line to feed 2/3 powerheads?

Thanks again.

Not really...the powerheads go in the main tank. They are small pumps that do nothing other than move water. You can attach them with suction cups or use the hangers that clip to the top of the tank. Putting them in the sump would severely reduce the flow they generated because they don't handle head pressure well. If you don't want PH's in the tank, you could use an external pump and set up a closed loop. Using a SQWD would give you some back and forth wave action.

Back
Top Bottom