How much water flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
How much water flow will I need in my tank?

I have a 37 gallon cube shaped tank.

I have a Magnum 350 pumping somewhere around 300 gallons per hour through my tank. what size Power head am I going to need?

(i also have a cpr bak pak 2 that is pumping water if that matters.)

most don't count the skimmer current towards total water flow. You want at least 370gallons per hour of circulation. A small powerhead of around 100gph at the opposite end fo the tank from the magnum outflow should be sufficient.

I'd get a MJ600 or if this is a reef then a MJ900.

400-600GPH

Each tank is unique and how you have it aquasacped is gonna have a big impact on what your 'total' flow is needed. You could have 1000GPH in there and still have deadspots of movement if the outputs and aquascaping is wrong.

just an update. I went with the smaller Maxi-jet 400 bringing my total waterflow up to between 400 and 450 GPH on a 37 gallon cube.

I've got the intake and output tubes for the Magnum 350 at oppisite ends of the tank which really helps.

We will see how this works. I shouldnt have any dead areas at all. hopefully everyone in the tank will like it!

Back
Top Bottom