I got One! Question. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickschabener

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again everyone.

I bought my first saltwater tank this weekend! It’s a 1 year old, 90 gallon set-up that was already torn down (the guy is moving). All-Glass Cherry stand, canopy, and drilled tank. Coralife Metal Halide lighting with 1 month old 10,000K German lamps, Sump with Wet/Dry, pumps, etc., Turboflotor 1000 skimmer, CustomSeaLife UV Sterilizer, and a WaveMaster Pro wavemaker w/3 power heads.

My wife’s part of the deal is that she didn’t/doesn’t want the dark cherry stand in her living room. I debated painting the stand & canopy brighter colors, but decided to order the All-Glass Oak cabinetry (the cherry will be for sale soon). I’m hoping to be up and running as soon as Saturday. I will be setting up a reef with a few fish.

My first question is:
We lose power often enough to be a problem. In fact, maybe it’s an omen, but we lost power for 2 hours on the day I bought it. I will be buying a generator very, very soon. I cannot afford an automatically switching generator. So, my question is: What can I use as a battery back-up to automatically keep the main pump (60 watt) running for 4-8 hours until I get home from work, etc. and can fire up the generator? Can I use a UPS like those you use on computers? Any better, not too expensive options?

Thanks,
Rick

Yes, you can use the UPS for computer systems. Just watch the wattage of the one you buy. No guaranty it will push it for 4-8 hours though. Something you'll just have to test.

Back
Top Bottom