i visited my lfs today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zypher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i visited my lfs today to grab some fish food...as i'm walking around looking at the clowns i hear one of the workers talking to a customer who was interested in starting a sw tank...i'm thinking to myself that i had done hours of research and asked multiple questions in other stores and on this forum (as well as others) before i even went and bought my tank...i'm still really new to this but i try to walk into lfs atleast somewhat prepared...this guy and his kid went $700 deep on everything..and walked out with fish...among the things i saw: tank, stand, 1 heater, 1 ph, some live rock, a bucket of salt, API quickstart...i wish him the best of luck...but i was always advised against impulse buys...hope he doesn't destroy those fish...

I bought my first sw tank on a whim. They were selling biocubes half price and they caught me in a moment of weekness. Before I knew it I was at home with a cube, sand, liverock and googling what on earth I was doing...lol I was hooked right away though cause my liverock had 2 hitchhiking mushrooms and some star fish. I thought that was so cool...

If he gave him some damsels/chromis then its not that uncommon...fish in cycles are the easiest way to go and I've actually done on every tank other then my current cycling seahorse tank but don't get me wrong the majority of the time the lfs will feed you as much BS as they need to make a sale which is sad..I work with animals for a living and love my job so I do what's best for the animals so I hate seeing people working in petstores and only see it as a job..they should be thankful they're doing that instead of flipping burgers for the same or less money :(

My lfs is super uptight about most things you want to buy. Like you feel guilty about purchases. Ive had to tell some employees to back off cause the thought i couldnt take care of sun coral or something like that, drives me nuts! Every time i want to buy someting i get the third degree, i practically love there ua think they could ease up lol

Animal-Chin said:
My lfs is super uptight about most things you want to buy. Like you feel guilty about purchases. Ive had to tell some employees to back off cause the thought i couldnt take care of sun coral or something like that, drives me nuts! Every time i want to buy someting i get the third degree, i practically love there ua think they could ease up lol

Ya I've heard of some places requiring water samples before giving you livestock which I believe to be a bit disrespectful. If I'm willing to fork out the money I want them to trust that I know what I'm doing unless something proves otherwise

I understand where you all are coming from. LFSs that ask for a water sample before having a customer buy livestock may seem disrespectful on one hand, on the other may save the newbie some money and frustration. I know when I first started going to my LFS I brought in a water sample for them to check and got some good advice on how to stabilize and the correct parameters for water quality. Need to be wary of LFS. Try to find one that people have dealt with and have good things to say about them... And always ask questions ion this forum if you are not sure. Really good advice here, with no overhead to cover....

Why do you do fish in cycles if you care about animals a lot? Lol. But ya, I'm so happy I found an lfs that tells the truth. I hate when people think of animals as worthless things. I think of them as beings, including fish. And I bet you really do care, Judy choose to go fish in. If you have a way of making the fish live, could you share it please? That would be awesome.

There are certain fish that you could consider cycling fish I guess...damsels are commonly used because they are very hardy but with 1 and sometimes 2 wc a day during the nitrIte spike will get them thru the cycle..its a mixed opinion on how to cycle tanks but that's just how I've always done it...after I finish this seahorse tank though perhaps it will sway me to fishless cycles from this point on who knows ;)

My LFS won't sell you anything without a sample until they get to know you. Neither will they sell you anything that's unsuitable for the set up you have. No tangs for tiny tanks, no mandarins or starfish for immature tanks, no sps if you have crappy lights, etc etc. The owner says its policy because he cares about the well being of the living thing more than a quick £.

The policy must do them well as they are regarded as one of, if not the top store in the UK, people come from all over the country to visit the place.

Leighton79 said:
My LFS won't sell you anything without a sample until they get to know you. Neither will they sell you anything that's unsuitable for the set up you have. No tangs for tiny tanks, no mandarins or starfish for immature tanks, no sps if you have crappy lights, etc etc. The owner says its policy because he cares about the well being of the living thing more than a quick £.

The policy must do them well as they are regarded as one of, if not the top store in the UK, people come from all over the country to visit the place.

Where is this store? I'm in the uk and I'd love to check it out

I actually think its a great idea to ask for a water sample. I work at a pet shop, and we don't do that. But it would make me feel so much better about selling fish. I get some veeeeery stubborn customers who just don't want to listen to what cycling is, and who don't want to buy the testing kits. Then we get calls about sick/dying fish. :( makes me sad. I ask quite a few questions to suss out their experience. It's nice to hear when their tank is fully cycled and not overstocked.

I wish my LFS was more like that. When I started out, they did have some good advice and such. But then, after learning even more off of these forums I went back and looked at their tanks...they don't even follow their own advice. Some fish only tanks FULL of aiptasia and the coral tank obviously has to much LR and not enough flow...there is a huge pagoda in there that I have watched begin to get covered with hair algae. Oh yeah, and the coral tank is full of hair algae...

Whats the name of the shop?

Would like to meet him one day.

I feel lucky. My LFS is a Petco, of all things, but is probably the best fish store I have ever seen. They will refuse a sale if they don't think your tank is ready (though I'm sure a threat to call corporate could force their hands), and will always offer detailed advice on set up, compatibility, etc.
I actually watched the main fish guy turn away someone who was ready to drop a couple hundred on fish in a single trip, just because the tank was probably not finished cycling. He did tell him that if he brought in a water sample, and the cycle was done, he'd sell him a few to start off.

Advice Please on Compatibility with Current Tank Residents

My LFS is having a sale this wknd: 20-60% off, so I'm thinking about adding 1-2 fish to replace the 2 that did not fare well in a 20 mile tank move.

Last edited:
Yeah I did the same , read several books googled a bunch of stuff and asked people in the hobby before even getting a tank , LFS are hit and miss I find , IMO the more local and small the store the better knowledge on the live stock they sell , and a big chain may have good deals but they are always not that " pet smart " ... Lol

Back
Top Bottom