Is this a pest? Dangerous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayinaung

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found one of these little transparent fan-like things (left and right ) on my rocks two weeks ago. And then it's become three or four. The one in the middle earlier in the week. Just one. now there's five of them in the same area.

when they are open they are about a small button size. The diameter is the size of a small zoa. Maybe half of a penny. Are they dangerous?

54y7pc.jpg

oh my god, what a relief. I thought featherdusters were bigger than that. these fellas are smart. when I get close to them they close up. and disappear FAST.

Yeah lol!! I have the same ones and they retract so fast. I'm sure you have more than you counted because they just grow everywhere but usually where there is a shade. ;)

I have some white, some black with a tan band, and some that are purplish. Then I have these larger ones from the same family so I've been told. All a species of tube worms.

Attachments

• image-3588234158.jpg
    image-3588234158.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 177
I have some white, some black with a tan band, and some that are purplish. Then I have these larger ones from the same family so I've been told. All a species of tube worms.

Ummm. Looks like aiptasi to me. Granted I'm on my phone and the pics are small. But...

Jinx. Like feather dusters, aipstasia will spread even under low lighting. Unlike feather dusters they will sting corals and other life in the tank. They are an anemone but very invasive. Get rid of them while their numbers are low.
Aipstasia X will destroy the ones you see. Or a Peppermint shrimp might eat all of them. A shrimp worked for me.

Uh oh, yes I am sorry jinx, those appear to be three aiptasia anemones. I have had great success with the product aiptasia-x

d'oh a little late to the party, enjoy the hunting!

Jinx. Like feather dusters, aipstasia will spread even under low lighting. Unlike feather dusters they will sting corals and other life in the tank. They are an anemone but very invasive. Get rid of them while their numbers are low.
Aipstasia X will destroy the ones you see. Or a Peppermint shrimp might eat all of them. A shrimp worked for me.

Will the aipstasia stuff hurt my big anemone that I bought?

Will the aipstasia stuff hurt my big anemone that I bought?

It comes with a metal needle syringe so you can inject the poison into the stem.

I will read the label when I get home later. Probably harmless or it wouldn't be very popular

My only problem is.. well I have an emerald crab, and I like it for killing bubble algae if and when they show up. Thus, I can't keep peppermint shrimps if I should get aipstasia...

thankfully I haven't had to cross that road yet.

Back
Top Bottom