Keeping mushrooms under control ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pritchard

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently moved these mushrooms and where they were originally now has about 10 tiny ones growing ! The problem is they are on a huge piece of rock which can't be moved ! Does anyone know how to kill these tiny ones off as they overgrow my zoas and pallys ! Aptasia x seems to stunt them for a week or so but then they are back ! Any suggestions would be appreciated

image-46227728.jpg

Here's the ones I moved !

image-3213207505.jpg

Here's the tiny ones I need rid of !

Cheers ! I'll google it to see where I can buy it here in the uk !

Oh ok ! Just mix it to a paste and syringe it straight onto them ?

you could always cut off a bunch and send to me :D
for some they grow like weeds and for others they just don't grow at all

I meant to mention that they sell for $5 a polyp and up. They can be detached fairly easily and fragging them is super easy.

Yeh these grow like mad in my system ! And thanks for the info Greg !

I meant to mention that they sell for $5 a polyp and up. They can be detached fairly easily and fragging them is super easy.

Agreed. I've been selling my Xenia on Craigslist for population control. Been working pretty well for me

Yeah send some my way too it would be a good addition instead of killing it

I hate to kill them ! The large ones look amazing on the sand bed away from everything else but the grow like mad ! My brother had some off me and his are doing great to but I don't know any other reefers to give them to ! I suppose I could trade them for other frags at my lfs !

Same. Order up :p

Like I said put up and ad on Craigslist and put a bunch if tags with it that revolve around reef tanks. You'll get some hits

Keeping a nuisance coral under control for the well being of other corals has to be done at times ! If not I'd have a tank full of mushrooms !

Keeping a nuisance coral under control for the well being of other corals has to be done at times ! If not I'd have a tank full of mushrooms !

What are your parameters, lighting , and do you add anything special to your tank because I wish my ricordeas would grow like that

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I remove mushrooms and zoos is to get an old screwdriver and grind down one side to make a small chisel. It doesn't need to be very sharp. Then I just scrape the unwanted shroom right off of the rock then bag and tag it for sale or trade. If you don't have an old screwdriver you can get one at a dollar store. Just don't try to sharpen the magnetic tip ones. I've used this kind of makeshift tool to frag loads of zoas and mushrooms. The good thing is getting a tiny piece of rock (even if it's just barely larger than gravel) with the frag. That makes keeping them in place much easier for the person who ends up getting it. I'm sure there's lots of other ways to do it though.

Still, gotta say, that's one mighty fine problem to have! Nice work. ^_^

Parameters are all fine ! Easy way of putting it lol ! I've got two tmc aqua ray 600 led units an Arcadia actinic blue led bar two t5 reef whites and one t8 reef blue ! I also dose 1 drop of tropic Marin pro coral iodine daily ! 10% pwc weekly using tropic Marin pro reef salt ! This is working fine for me

Parameters are all fine ! Easy way of putting it lol ! I've got two tmc aqua ray 600 led units an Arcadia actinic blue led bar two t5 reef whites and one t8 reef blue ! I also dose 1 drop of tropic Marin pro coral iodine daily ! 10% pwc weekly using tropic Marin pro reef salt ! This is working fine for me

Have you ever tested your iodine concentration? I finally bought a Hanna and was shocked to see how high mine was. No more dosing of iodine was warranted and in fact too high a level can be detrimental. Not meaning to rock a routine that works for you. I was just surprised.

Back
Top Bottom