Kent liquid reactor??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently added 2 LPS's to my tank. The calcium was at 350ppm, ALK is 2.8 Mg/l without any additives just water changes. Liquid reactor is an "ionically balanced calcium buffer system". It says it will raise the calcium, magnesium, strontium, and carbonates. I've added the recommended dose 3x's and see no difference in ALK, or calcium concentration. Should I first raise the calcium with turbo calcium then use the calcium buffer to keep it there like kalkwasser? Also the liquid reactor clouds the tank for about 1.5 hours or so, which I really don't like (I do add it at night so it's tolerable). The way my tank is set up I can't drip kalk with out it obtruding on the cleanness of the display...I have no sump or canopy. Thanks for any advice or suggestion.

In your situation, I would do a few waterchanges to get the CA and ALK where they should be, then use b-ionic to maintain both CA and ALK.

In your situation, I would do a few waterchanges to get the CA and ALK where they should be
I do 10% weekly water changes so I'm assuming that the IO salt I'm using is off. I tried the link to the ALK/CA calculator but I don't have java script.? What numbers should I aim for before adding supplements?

This is quoted from the first link provided by jackdp, it's a very good article and you should give it a read ;)

Recommended Ranges

Before getting into problems and solutions, let’s first define what constitutes a problem and what does not. Based on published studies3 involving the calcification of corals and other organisms, I recommend the following:

Alkalinity2 (due to bicarbonate and carbonate but not borate, so those using Seachem salt must raise this value substantially to accommodate the borate being counted in standard alkalinity tests)

2.5 - 4 meq/L or 7 - 11 dKH or 125 - 200 ppm CaCO3 equivalents

Calcium:

380 – 450 ppm calcium ion or 950 - 1125 ppm CaCO3 equivalents

Proud sponsor of this column

If you are anywhere within these ranges for both parameters, you do not need to perform any correction on your tank chemistry, though you may choose to do so for other reasons. In this sense it makes no difference what the relationship is between the two values. If alkalinity is 4 meq/L, it is not inherently any “better” for calcium to be at 380 ppm or 450 ppm. Also, these ranges are somewhat arbitrary, especially at the high end. In fact, the primary reason for having a high end at all is that it is often difficult to keep one of these parameters above the minimum end of the range if the other is over the top end. So if one of these parameters is slightly above the high end, and the other is OK, that is not a problem worth worrying about.

One of the reasons that you may find compelling to adjust values even when within the recommended range (or outside but close to it) relates to test kit errors. All measurements of calcium and alkalinity have some uncertainty associated with them. Even if the kit is a reliable one, you may still want to strive to be in the center of the range to make it less likely that you are actually outside of it and only appear to be inside of it due to uncertainties in the measurement. This issue is especially important at the low end of the ranges, and not so important at the high ends.

IME, IO is pretty low in CA and sometimes very high in ALK, when I was using it (switched to a different brand about 6 months ago) I hadn't mixed a batch in over a year, I did not have to tweak. Test the new water, the CA is probably gonna be around 350-380 and the alk will probably be 5 meq/l and higher, you will need to add CaCl to bring the CA up and deplete the ALK to make it acceptable for my aquarium.

I tried to read the articles, thanks jackdp, but todays is one of those in one ear out the other days. Am I the only one who has those LOL. Thanks Jack,Kevin.

Back
Top Bottom