Kenya Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oddjobman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a number of Kenya Trees which have been OK for six months, They have closed up for 5 weeks now and do not open when lights are on. The only thing that has chenge in my set up is that I now have running a Ozone generator. Could it be the ozone which is the problem? The generator is running at about 50.

Last edited:
Kenya Tree and Ozone.

Thanks for you reply. I have tried turnning of the Ozones and it makes no difference However, for your info. fish and marine mammals that live in aquariums produce toxins that release into surrounding water. Ozone is used in large scale aquariums to keep tanks clean. The use of ozone in tanks big or small can reduce odors of the water and create a healthier environment for the fish inside.

Thanks again for your reply.

John

You can accomplish that with activated carbon if it is an issue without the tuning in and large expense. I would still suggest turning off the ozone and see if something improves in a day. I'd also suggest a water change in the chance that something entered the water column that upset it.
Soft corals deflate when they are stressed by something, but there is also part of their behavior in which they do this as they 'shed their skin'. If managing the water chemistry provides no results with the ozone off then there is a shed coming and things should be back to normal in a week.
Also, be careful with kenya trees. As they thrive they reproduce by 'dropping branches'. They will take root where they land and can very quickly take over a system if one isn't careful. I usually recommend keeping them in the sandbed so the dropped branches can easily be removed. This coral does this so drastically it is considered one of the pest corals to many reefers.

Kenya Tree and Ozone.

Many thanks again for advice. Water chemistry is spot on and activated carbon is change monthly. So I will turn off ozones and wait.

Thanks again

John

A skimmer will accomplish about the same thing. I've never tried ozone so I don't know much about it. My skimmer will remove all those DOC's in the water.

Back
Top Bottom