LED enough for LPS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beengirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 54 gal corner tank. I am using a LED Kessil a150w (15000k) in ocean blue. Light covers all of tank. I :confused:Am wanting to do some LPS coral. Do I need to add another kessil or is this enough light? Was thinking maybe a sky blue one.

I think your good on intensity just not coverage. I think sps would be fine just keep it in the middle of the tank under the led. Would imagine about a basketball sized circle at the bottom of the tank under that led and try to put any sps there and they would be fine. Many people use a 250w metal halide in a tank like that and grow sps, and that 150w Kessil is as potent as a 250w metal halide I'm sure.

So you're saying that to do LPS I do need to add another kessil? That's my understanding from what u said: light now ok for SPS, néed another for LPS. That right? Thanks for the input!

No, generally sps is the most light demanding coral. So if your good for sps generally your good for anything else also. Sps requires the highest light intensity, the best water quality, and they are more finicky about water flow.

If its good enough for sps it's good enough for anything else. But of course this is all generalities there are easier sps coral and hard lps and soft corals.

I'm saying you can more than likely grow whatever you want under that Kessil. Just so long as you put it under the light due to the odd tank shape. 2 of those would cover the whole tank and you could place any of the most light demanding corals anywhere in the tank you want, but one is fine I wouldnt buy two I would just place any sps/clams under the light.

Sps/clams - require the most light for example 100w + of led , 250w +metal halide , 6 - 8 bulbs of t5ho(in a shallow aquarium)

Lps- ( anemones would fall in this area of lighting) require moderate lighting : example : around 4 bulb t5ho, or 175w metal halide, or 60+ w of led.

Soft corals like mushrooms and zoas - require less lighting than lps and sps, but I wouldn't say low lighting. Examples: 2-4 bulbs of t5ho, or 40+ watts of led, or a 65w power compact.

Thanks so much for your help!! Think I might visit the store today and try some coral!!

Back
Top Bottom