Lighting for an Reef aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is no where near enough for a reef tank. You`ll need Powercompacts, VHO`s, T5`s or MH`s.

ok thank you but i read that a MH can only been on for 4-6 hours is the 15w and marine glo ok to keep on the rest of the day?

I dont see why you cant have them on 8 hrs. Those that have them on 4-6 hours usually have T5`s or VHO`s to supplement the MH`s. No that bulb would only be good in a FOWLR tank.

I agree....ebay that fixture if you want to keep a reef.
Research what you want to keep, and then we can recommend the proper lighting for you.

i have a 150w MH comeing but i was just wondering what those lights are good for. still waiting for the light and getting inpatant.

and one more question i was reading about mimicking dawn and dusk but i did not under stand how could any one explain how a little simpler for me.

Let the experts tell you and not to shoot anything down. But... Hex tanks dont have good gas exchange. This is not ideal for a reef setup. The dawn and dusk thing ahh mimicking nature. Timers and separate lights on these timers will help mimic the day. My main lights come on at 12 stay on until 9 then I have a dimmer light that comes on and then when that goes off my two moon lights come on.(this is on my FW setup) My reef tank coming soon will be a better rendition of the same sort of thing.

VHO = Very High Output Florescent tube light. A 4' bulb is 110Ws.

This is how I simulate dawn, sunrise, sunset and dusk on my 120g reef.

at 12:00pm my VHO and T5 Actinics come on (blue lights) they are on from 12:00pm until 11:00pm.

At 1:30pm my left MH bulb comes on. (sunrise)

At 2:00pm my right MH bulb comes on.

At 9:00pm my left MH bulb goes off

At 9:30pm my right MH bulb goes off. (sunset)

My moon lights are LEDs and they are on 24/7

As stated above your tank is not ideal for a reef setup but it can work. I would suggest doing some research on what all is needed to have a health reef before getting too far into the purchasing of equipment. There are a lot of things you will need to consider. Make sure to triple research any piece of equipment before buying it.

I do agree also that hex tanks are not the greatest but as Allen said it can work. A PH pointed to the surface will help with surface aggitation and will help with good gas exchange. You`ll want to make sure you dont have a lid or top. I have some pics of my VHO lights in my images.

ok i do not know what PH stands for i talk it you don't mean the level i have a filter at the bottom of the tankl flowing up words i have a PS at the top brakeing the surface and a Fluvol 304 in there to. i just put on my aqualight 150W 14000K MH light with cooling fane. but why a lid on the hole thing?

Back
Top Bottom