LPS Bleaching/Reproducing/Stress Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few weeks ago, I had to take my torch coral out of my tank to rearrange some liverock. The clowns would not stop picking me to death when I touched it. It was out of water for about...6 seconds total, round trip from tank to aerated bucket, then back to tank. I put it back in, after a water change, and it looked fine. A week or so later, 2 of the heads are starting to bleach, and I believe one has just "died".

But...one of the heads also seems to be in the process of dividing. When I started the tank, the torch coral had 5 heads. Now, a 7th is starting to form and it seems as if I can almost watch it's progress every few days.

Does a LPS sorta knock off life to some of the coral while it divides? This sounds like a stupid question, but the coral has been perfectly healthy for more than a year now, and it just started to look crappy when I have noticed the division taking place. My clowns also host it...but it's been looking fine with them in it too.

Any ideas? Did I do it in when I took it out of the tank for that short period? Is it dying? Are the clowns stressing it? Just looking for thoughts...I'm confused.

NH3-0
NO2-0
NO3-<25-30 (always has been high)
CA-400-420
pH-8.0 - 8.2

It gets plenty of indirect flow. I have 165 watts over 29 gallons. I recently added the Lobophyllia, but it sits about 10-12 inches away from the torch.

Thanks guys... :?

Nobody, huh? What do you all think about a chemical warfare issue? The Lobophyllia has started secreted some goo which I assume means it's irritated. I wonder if it's chemically irritating the Torch. I am going to add in a bag of activated carbon today and see if that helps at all, and do a water change.

Thanks.

Since the speration of the two corals is that far, I do not think that chemical warefare is an issue. If water parameters are okay, then I would turn attention to the clowns. They could be irritating the coral. If this is a branching species of torch, go ahead and break off the effected head.

Back
Top Bottom