Plants that can survive a bleach dip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesktopTankDiva

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get recommendations on plants that do well after a bleach dip. No snails or yucky things welcome here!

My java fern was the only one that looked relatively unaffected after the dip. My first banana plant turned brown and slimy so I discarded it, but my second banana plant is faring slightly better but not great. The anacharis melted within days. I was able to save a few tiny still-green parts of the anacharis and it showed new growth after a week, but eventually it succumbed as well. I would like a few banana plants but my track record with them is not good.

I'm doing a 20:1 water/bleach dip, and perform it according to numerous internet videos and articles. I am doing this for my future aquarium, a 3.5 gallon nano tank. Since it is a small tank I am planning to house 3 male guppies or endlers, so there is no room (or desire) for loaches or assassin snails. Many years ago a now defunct LFS gave me a tiny baggie of potassium permanganate which seemed to work for snails. A few years ago I tried to start my nano tank, but it failed before it even cycled due to snails. I purchased a random potassium permanganate for the dip but it clearly did not work.

I was hoping to get advice on any other plants that may do well after a bleach dip. I like the fluffy look of anacharis so it saddened me it was dip intolerant. I'd like to add some variety to my future tank and not just stuck with java fern. I have looked at many tissue cultured plants but they are all so small, I'm unsure if there are any that easily grow larger or lush.

Thanks for any help!
Desktop D

How long are you leaving the plants in the bleach solution for?

I use straight household bleach and put the plants in for 1 minute, then rinse them off. Check them for snail eggs (small clumps of jelly) and scrape those off with your fingernail.

Copper can also be used and is safer for the plants but you have to rinse the plants well to remove residual copper otherwise it can affect shrimp and any snails you want to keep.

I dipped them for 90 seconds (I set a timer), rinsed them with water after removal, then dipped them in a 3x strength dechlorinated water. I left them in the conditioned water for several minutes, did a quick rinse, then dipped them in another container of conditioned water for several more minutes. I used regular chlorine laundry/household bleach.
I saw a few internet videos where Cupramine and copper treatments did not work which is why I chose bleach dipping. I'm hoping to find other plants that can handle the bleach dip since it did kill a scary looking swimming thing and several black dots at the bottom of the container afterward.

Marsh plants tolerate it better than true aquatic plants, and plants grown hydroponically should tolerate it better than plants grown underwater. The hydroponic plants have terrestrial leaves, which are tougher than aquatic leaves.

Things like Amazon sword plants, Hygrophila species, Ludwigia species and Cryptocoryne species (grown out of water) should tolerate bleach for 90 seconds.

Thank you for that information, I didn't know any of that. I looked up each plant along with their care requirements and they all seem to be within my experience level (beginner!). I really like the fern-like look of hygrophilia water wisteria, I'm going to see if any of the aquarium shops in my area carry it.
Thanks again for the info!

Back
Top Bottom