magnum filter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnsmb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just upgraded to a 75 gallon and my hob aquaclear filter does not fit with the new canopy (my skimmer barely fits). I am looking for a filter to run carbon in and to do occasional water polishing when I blow the detritus off the rocks. I have no sump.

No experience with canister filters - are they easy to use? Do they leak easily? I will not run it continuously, so is it easy to set up and take down, or is it a hassle?

Is the Magnum the only canister filter that has the micron/water polishing filter? Can I run just carbon alone - without the foam sleeve over it?

Is there any real difference between the HOT magnum and the regular 350 magnum? I probably want the 350 because my canopy is not very compatible with things hanging on the back.

thanks.

I would run the canister all the time. If you have it set up and not running, the water inside can stagnate and pollute your tank when you turn it back on (I learned the hard way) Just be sure to keep it clean.

Can you run the filter with nothing in it - just for water flow? And how difficult/easy are they to take down and clean? thanks.

What kind of skimmer do you have? Considering the cost of what the cansiter may cost, you might want to consider an upgrade on a better skimmer for a little more.

As far as the difference on the canisters, the HOT is a Hang On Tank or HOB and the 350 is a floor model with hoses.

Cheers
Steve

I have run the magnum 350 on my small tank (30 gal) and a couple on a 125 gallon. They have been great, very very simple to install, possible get the quick connects just to make it a little easier to clean! They have a very simple design, the polisher removes HUGE amounts of gunk from the water column and they are reliable and silent!
However, as Steve points out, they are expensive and some say debateably unecessary piece of equipment when you use a high quality skimmer with a decent ratio of lr to water. --- I guess what i am saying is this; IF you are wanting to get a canister, then only go with the Magnums! :D

Back
Top Bottom