Major Tank change what should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
right now I have a basic tank about a two in bed of sand in my 55 a couple of live rocks and mushroom polup my fish are all happy and have been doing very well but I want to make it a little more natural for them so I have 50 lbs of live rock comming and 10# of live sand so I plan on removing a couple of other rocks out not live rock building some hiding places etc giving the tank a good cleaning then laying down the live rock. problem is what should I do about the fish when I do this I know it will probably take a couple hours to do I don't want to over stress them and I am mainly concerned about my Box fish she is doing really well but very skitish I don't want to stess her out for a couple reasons of course I don't want to poisen my tank. I don't have a quaritine tank to hold them in. do should I do it with them in or but them in a temporay holding area or take them to my pet shop for a couple days I should have all this stuff and be ready Thursday or Friday and should I let everything settle for a couple days before putting them back. I am starting to prepare a larger tank but I don't even have a filter for it yet and haven't even started to set it up.. the best I could do with it at this time is add some water and salt but I think this would be much more harmful please help.

First thing you need to do, is find temporary housing for all of your inverts, coral, and fish.

You're about to start a brand new tank cycle, unless all of your live rock is completely cured.

So you need to find a place to keep all of your stuff for a couple of weeks at least.

Yes the rock is Cured

I am getting both from a retable sources hopefully this will cut down the housing time but I take it I should still get them to a good temporary home.

You can cure the lr in a garbage can with a power head. That way you can keep the fish in your tank and when the LR is cured you can add a few pieces every few days to help with the stress.
Unless you bought Cured LR you are going to have some die off no matter who you bought it from.

Well if nothing else I can do it that way I have a couple good pet stores near me I was going to see if they board them for a few days there are two places I would trust for this . the rocks and the sand or from two very good sorces and have been in there tanks for two and three years. so curing wont be nessasary I cant believe how quickly I am getting hooked on my tanks I am planing to get a reverse osmosis system so I can have my own filtered water good for me and the fish it just keeps going and going. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom